Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading IE Again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stelladog

stelladog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 20 November 2004 - 09:45 PM

I had some problems with virus, spyware, etc. on my computer when loading XP SP2. I removed XP SP2 and finally managed to rid myself of the other problems. Actually, I submitted a Hijack log to you guys and I did what you told me to do. The bugs are gone now but the end result is that IE will lock up and not respond. It usually does this when trying to open another link in a website. It is random. If you right click on the link then pick "Open As a Window". It will work. The error message I get when IE finally closes after not responding. I have to use Task Manager or the Red X in the upper right hand corner of the window to get out.

Error Signature: Appname: IEXPLORE.EXE AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: SHDOCVW.DLL ModVer: 6.0.2800.1584 Offset: 00006E3C

I'll get a message that An error has occured in IE and IE will close.

I decided to reload IE so I followed the steps in the Tutorial How to Repair IE 6. I tried the System File Checker. I rebooted but same problem. I then tried Method 2 which edits the register. I went to the file IE.INF in the Windows folder, right click then installed. I got a message that I needed IE SP1. I tried to download but I got a message that I have a newer version of IE. I tried to copy the download file to my computer but no luck there either. Do I have to reload the entire operating system?

I am open for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 g45

g45

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:02 PM

Your problem is easily solved in three steps.

Go to Mozilla.org and download Firefox 1.0. Firefox is a web browser, an alternative to MSIE.

Install Firefox 1.0.

Kick back and enjoy using Firefox 1.0. Life is good with software that actually works!

If you are hesitant, Google the word "Firefox". Then decide.

BTW, have been using Firefox for many months. It is a good browser.

#3 stelladog

stelladog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the help. I looked into this as suggested, downloaded and it works fine. What bothers me (and maybe it shouldn't) is why can't Microsoft get with the program and get IE fixed? Are they that brain dead? I tried to illicit help from them via their forums and got nowhere.

Very disappointing.

Thanks again for the help.

#4 mangosteen

mangosteen

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:00 AM

Firefox is good.

But I prefer Avant Browser.
Let's stay happy and healthy.

#5 maf

maf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:07 AM

Your problem is easily solved in three steps.

Go to Mozilla.org and download Firefox 1.0. Firefox is a web browser, an alternative to MSIE.

Install Firefox 1.0.

Kick back and enjoy using Firefox 1.0. Life is good with software that actually works!

If you are hesitant, Google the word "Firefox". Then decide.

BTW, have been using Firefox for many months. It is a good browser.

Agreed :thumbsup: Firefox is excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users