Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black/Blank Screen upon Normal Windows 7 Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 XSJ

XSJ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hello,

I have a ThinkPad Edge E430, 64bit Windows 7 computer that is under warranty. Upon normal startup, I am able to load Windows 7 and get to the user login screen. After logging in, I get a black screen and can see the mouse cursor but no applications ever load. I think there is a problem that is preventing windows explorer from loading.

I'm not sure if this is related, but a few days before this started happening I received a Windows Action Center notice that the small.CA virus was detected on my computer. I ran Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, McAfee Virus Scan, and Emisoft Emergency Scanner, but none of them turned up any problems.

I'm able to run my computer through Windows safe mode with networking at the moment normally.

Do you know if this is a software problem and if so is it fixable? If it's a hardware problem, my computer is under warranty and I can send it back.

Thanks,

XSJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,470 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

In the Advanced Boot Options where you chose Safe Mode with Networking there is the option to Repair your computer.  Give this a try.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 XSJ

XSJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hi dc3,

I have tried the startup repair option in the advanced boot options before Windows start. It told me to remove any recently installed external connections (which I didn't have any external connections) and restart. I restarted and tried to load Windows normally, but now I cannot get past the welcome page. The cursor turns into a round circle and just keeps spinning without ever continuing on.

Regards,

XSJ

Edited by XSJ, 22 December 2013 - 03:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users