Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 400 - freezes right away at Dell bios version screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Syborg

Syborg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to assist with a problem that suddenly started with my second computer (Dell Vostro 400)

Its running windows 7 home premium and all the sudden it now stops at the Dell bios version screen. It did this a couple times the lastfew days, but when I restarted it, it booted ok, but when I checked on it later then the computer was frozen again with a black screen.  I have borrowed another computer from work and swapped out the hard drive, and it works fine with the other computer (same hardware). So I dont think its the hard drive. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

Oh, I should mention that I do hear one beep and then the Dell screen shows up and then freezes.

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

Usually one beep indicate a RAM problem. Let's try this.

Testing Computer Memory Using MemTest86+

--------------------
  • Download the latest version of MemTest86+ Windows Images: Image for creating boot-able CD , and and save it to your desktop
  • Right click on the folder and select Extract All...
  • Select Next, Next, then Finish
  • Burn the image file to a CD, as an image file. If you're unsure how to do this, see the How to Burn an ISO File tutorial.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:

• If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:

• On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:

• Press the reset button on the computer, removing the MemTest disk in the process
  • Report the results
===================================================

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste any requested log information unless you are asked to attach it. 
  • MemTest results

#4 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Unfortunately...it wont let me get to the boot menu. The Dell screen shows F12 for boot and F2 for setup but pushing F12 or F2 for that matter does nothing.

I have a loner computer here with exact same hardware, how about it I just swap the ram chips and see what happens there?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

To access the BIOS in this Dell try either the F3 or F1 key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

I switched out the ram with the other ram and it works perfect now...thank you for pointing me in the right direction...I really appreciate it.

#7 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

If you haven't I would test the original ram one more time before assuming it is no good.The pc may just have needed a bios reset,which probably happened when swapping ram.

#8 Syborg

Syborg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

i have no way to test the old ram because once its installed, I cannot do anything at all including accessing the bios or changing the boot sequence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users