Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to change Windows XP pro, and maybe experiment with linux

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, but here goes.  With support ending for Windows XP soon, and receiving an error message most times I boot the computer, I decided to purchase a new computer.  I have a nice Gateway with Windows 8.1 which I don't know how to use.  I would like to restore my old computer, and maybe put a linux system on it.  It is a systemax with dual core 500 gb HD, 2GB ram, and 2000 gh speed.   I have a few questions , on what I need to do to do, and what is possible.  I'm told I can partition add linux, and use both systems, being careful not to have windows up while I'm online.  Will that protect windows (I will have a virus protection, probably avast)?  Can I keep my files and programs while I am running my recovery disk to correct some of my programs.  .net framework1.1 has been partially overwritten and can't update, I believe that is why some of my other's can't be updated recently also, like adobe flash, and active x, and a couple others.  I haven't even got windows 8.1 learned yet, so I don't want to jump into too much yet.  Is there a tutorial for any of these, I can't seem to find any.  Can I network linux with windows, when I figure out how to set up a home network, there will be 4 other computers in the house?  I've used computers a fair amount, but a novice about working on them.  A heavy equipment operator by trade.  Or am I biting off too much.  Retirement is in 3 months, so I should have a bit more time.  Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi heyyou325 and Welcome!

I know where you are heading (am exactly there myself) even though I can't answer you questions, being a newbie myself. But for all your Linux needs and questions, check out the Linux Forums here at Bleeping Computer...that's where you find me, asking and learning!

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

I've been on Linux, Most of my questions are what to do, and how to do on XP.  Main one on Linux is which one.

#4 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Okay, what they are recommending  me to use is Ubuntu...and if you read the thread I started, Learning about Linux, its a start as to some sites, etc. Why don't you post your questions in that forum Linux and Unix? That's where those cats will see your questions and be more than happy to guild you!

#5 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Just putting in a comment.  Back in October my Google Chrome 30 wouldn't put anything in my address bar except ubuntu.  Where it came from, who knows.  It was very strange then but now the name is familiar.  Took some doing to get rid of it.  Just a mention to battyhippie.

Edited by MissLizz, 21 December 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#6 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

The test recommended ubunto, fedora, suse, and mint, I forget in which order for me.  I'm still interested in putting it over XP and keeping that safe.  My boss recommends puppy for awhile then deciding.  But first I want to find out about how safe it will be to have XP on, so I can keep some of my problems.  I will be posting on Linux again soon.

#7 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

As you are finding out, heyyou325, there are so many choices with Linux that it does boggle the mind. That is why I am not sure how exactly I want to set up my computers because, like you, I have a Win8 and WinXP.. But as you learn, you begin to realize that you can use Linux live without installing it yet to get a feel for it . Nice feature!  XP will still be supported until April 8, 2014, so there is still some time for you not to worry about having XP online. I myself, am going to set up the Win8 as Ubuntu, keep the XP as XP,  so as I learn, if I have questions and I mess up the computer totally,  I have a way to get online and cry Help Help...but I do have the ol' ace in the hole that my son has used Linux so I am not totally out to sea w/o the life jacket.

#8 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

I reread your thread in linux.  And yes, it definately boggles the mind all the choices.  And I look at it they,re gonna quit supporting xp in April 2014, and they might actually do it this time.  I've had trouble for a couple years, not being able to update programs as my .net framework somehow got partially overwritten and the computer techs all told me it would cost more to fix than get a new one.  because of that I've had trouble updating other programs, and with out of date programs, I get viruses.  After XP is no longer supported, if it is not secure inside whichever linux program, and I'm thinking suuse,  it will really give me problems.  Why go to all the trouble of converting it to loose it in a couple months.  

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have a few questions , on what I need to do to do, and what is possible.  I'm told I can partition add linux, and use both systems, being careful not to have windows up while I'm online.

There are several ways to have Linux on your system at the same time as Windows XP.

1) Dual boot - you re-partition the disk and give some of the space to Linux.  When you turn on the computer, a boot menu will allow you to choose between starting Windows or Linux.  You need never boot into XP unless you want to.  This would be what I would suggest in your circumstances, as Windows XP is nearing end of life. 

2) With Ubuntu, there is something called Wubi, which you install into Windows like a normal program.  It's similar to dual booting, but there is no partitioning of disks (Ubuntu is installed to a 'virtual disk' - a large file).  It appears that Ubuntu have stopped new releases of Wubi though - the latest is 12.04 LTS (vs. 13.10 otherwise).

3) Install in a Virtual Machine (e.g. with VMWare Player or VirtualBox) that runs under Windows.  Doesn't really accomplish what you want as it involves running Windows which will be less secure once support ends.  But in general this is a great method for techies who want to try out new Linux variants, or have a need to run Windows and Linux at the same time.

Will that protect windows (I will have a virus protection, probably avast)? 

If you go with the dual boot option none of that will be running when you are using Linux.  It's not generally necessary to run AV programs in Linux.

Can I keep my files and programs while I am running my recovery disk to correct some of my programs.

Windows programs will not work in Linux (although with some effort, some can be run, using a compatibility layer called WINE).  You can find equivalents to many of them in Linux, for example LibreOffice does much the same as MS Office.  If you use a recovery disk supplied with your computer, I think normally that returns it to factory defaults, so definitely back up your personal files to an external device before doing this.  It will wipe any programs installed too.

Can I network linux with windows, when I figure out how to set up a home network, there will be 4 other computers in the house?  I've used computers a fair amount, but a novice about working on them.  A heavy equipment operator by trade.  Or am I biting off too much.  Retirement is in 3 months, so I should have a bit more time.

Yes you can.  If you enable File and Printer Sharing on your Windows PC's and choose which directories to share, most Linux distributions will see them without any further configuration.  If you want to configure a Linux box to share files with Windows PC's, that's not too difficult either.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Thank you Jonuk76.   My files are all backed up on my new computer, tho it wont accept a lot of my programs as they're too old, etc.  You confirmed a lot of what I have been told, I just wanted to verify it.  I was told there was a program that comes with ubuntu so you could use your windows programs , that might have been wubi.  My boss plays on computers a lot, and he told me if I partition, when I boot I will get both OS's and can reach across the partition to use one or the other.  This is why I was worried about security..  Thanks again, I guess it's time to start playing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users