Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win xp pro sp3 with untouchable hot spot on keyboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

The end is at hand for this laptop which I've had for 19 months now.   I've often wondered why the area in the lower left hand corner gets so hot it's most uncomfortable to touch but only when the computer is on the internet.  Work/play off the net, it cools off fairly quickly and stays cool.  I wonder if there might be some ideas that could help others with this problem inasmuch as I'm still trying to understand cut and paste, post to desktop, etc.

I did find a tray in the area as well as the headphone/mike plug-ins.   The hottest area seem to be 3-4" from the bottom over to the edge of the touchpad.  I'd really like to read all and any suggestions as to what might be causing this,  but I'm unable to comply with any downloads, posts, attachments, just don't know how.   I realize these would be necessary for a repair but April 8 will make that a waste.  I'm just curious as to what's under that spot.  And thanks to all who've helped me get as far as I have, inch by inch.

BTW, it's been like this since it was gifted to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tmgreene364

tmgreene364

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm a newbie to the world of computers as well.  It may be the laptop is dirty.  Mine was.  It is pretty simple to take apart and clean.  there is a tutorial with a link that shows you how.  I have a little T43 and my fan is where you described.  Once I cleaned it, no more hot spot! I realize with your issues you may not be able to watch the video, but you might have a friend who could take the keyboard out and do the cleaning for you.  I don't know how much a shop charges to do the physical cleaning.

Hope that helps!

#3 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Howdy,

The internal components of the laptop are overheating ( obviously).  One of the things to find out, is to check with the support site of the computer maker and see what lies in that area.  Most all computer makers have support websites with lots of good information.  Look them up and search for your make/model.

P.S.

Odds are the issue is with the laptop's internal battery or maybe the hard drive.

It is not unheard of for laptops to have battery issue over time.

Edited by Maurice Naggar, 21 December 2013 - 10:38 AM.

~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

#4 olvidadizo

olvidadizo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Might not be the end of it. You might need more ram. Or have a prog that uses too much ram. I was using Kaspersky just the other week, and it was to bloaty for My old XP the fan was running very fast and I couldn't get much done before it crashed. But that's why I'm here lol to get a check up done on the door stop XP ;-) some one might give You a simple cure from here soon. good luck with it :thumbup2:

#5 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the ideas.  I found the fan (yay) and it's clean and working.  I opened the area under the palm rest; the part inside said Intel which I guess is the microprocessor but that's where it's hot.  I do have the laptop on a laptop caddy, just a frame holding the machine up off the table for cooling.  I'm never on the internet very long and use stand-by rather than on/off frequently.  

There's no one around to question or help so I browse BC daily, and sometimes I understand what I'm reading.  Anyway, you have made me feel a little braver about investigating this issue.  Oh, I did get the D600 service manual and the user's guide.  I may even try to read them but I'm not  fool enough to try out manual repair.   It's more to learn the names of parts.  Thank all of you.

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

MissLizz.

Laptops are known for getting quite hot when in use. My son has a laptop cooler, which a. raises the laptop for ventilation and b. has two little fans for extra cooling power. He, in all the 4+ years of owning the laptop, has not had a problem with overheating and with him being in college, it was on for periods of time. He got his at Walmart...well, online, and had it delivered to the store.

#7 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

battyhippie

Good to know about the heat.  I kept waiting for the explosion lol.  I'm sure I've seen the cooling gadget you mention at one of our local supercenters and should I get another laptop, may get one of those with it.  Catch 22, a new computer leaves me no reason for internet and BC.  Really, following instructions received here, I'm surprised at what all you have taught me.  I know there's megamiles to go should I stay with it, but hey, what can one say but Thank You.  I'll be watching for your posts.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Yes. laptops (and all other computers) get warm in use - that's why they have cooling systems - but there is a difference between warm and 'Ouch !'.

but only when the computer is on the internet

This suggests that for some reason your wi-fi or your LAN driver assembly is the culprit - you don't say whether you are connecting by wireless or cable. this would be unusual because using the internet is not a resource intensive application in the way that, for example, playing games or doing heavy duty graphics work is. Unless of course you are heavily into on-line gaming !

It may of course not be dirt - it could be the heat-sink paste has dried up or otherwise failed. If you have raised the courage to take the cover plate off the bottom of your laptop it takes only a little more courage to replace the paste !

If you have got to your fan, you can safely remove this by undoing the - normally - three screws that secure it, and remove it completely, if necessary,  by - carefully - disconnecting its wiring connection. You will then see some sort of thick copper strip leading to the back of your main processor. This is also held in place by screws, and if you undo them you will find it will lift off quite easily. You should then find a gray or white sort of solid gunk between the copper strip and the back of the processor chip - this is the heatsink paste.

Carefully and thoroughly clean it off both surfaces, there may also be a piece of what looks like fabric in between the two faces, keep this and clean it as well. Iso-propyl alchohol and clean tissue paper or kitchen roll is good for this job.

When you have cleaned it, you need to apply a fresh smear off heat-sink compound to all the faces. If you don't have an electronics store near where you live, you can source it from Amazon and Newegg to name but two on-line suppliers. then screw everything back together and everything should run much cooler.

Chris Cosgrove

PS  -  Don't lose any of the screws !

#9 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Chris:

Thanks for your detailed information.  Your instructions are much clearer than those in the service manual I downloaded.  Right now the heat is hot but not "Ouch!'  Wouldn't take much more though.  The connection is wireless; I'm not into gaming on-line or other.

Advice on  Don't Lose The Screws can't be repeated too often or too firmly.  Or to have everything ready before starting.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users