Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro on old Gateway, need drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:39 AM

not sure if this is thr right place, but here goes:

HDD went bad on an old Gateway MX6025, replaced it and reinstalled XP Pro, downloaded a driver set from gateway. ( they didnt list the 6025 on the web site but a Google search located it..)
No such luck, VGA/INTEL video worked that was it al others failed.

This is what i need from device manager:
Ethernet Controller

Mass Storage Controller

Multimedia Controller
Network controller
PCI Device
PCI modem

Under Universal Serial Bus controllers:

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.

Additionally it has no sound, i installed the AC97 driver( from what was offered in another thread about this MX6025) but the device manager shows a yellow explanation point on
RealTek AC97 Audio. i then uninstalled it.

right now, getting the Ethernet controller would be optimal first, any advice on how to proceed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

What I often do is temporarily use a little USB Wifi adapter so I can get to Windows Update and download everything available, except Windows Search and Bing. Once that's all done, (which takes several reboots, then back to Windows Update to check for more), most, if not all, of the drivers will now be installed.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

If you have access to another computer, download the 'Portable' version of Speccy from -

www.piriform.com

Save it to a memory stick and run it on your computer. This will tell you what hardware is installed on your computer, and from that you should be able to find the exact drivers you need by googliing for them, or by going to the relevant manufacturers' web-sites.

The spywareDoc is right about you needing the MS updates, but there is a concensus that MS Updates is not the best place to get hardware drivers from.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

ok ,amanaged to get a wifi adaptor to install, donwloaded sp2 and sp3 and am installing manually, going to run windows update and see what happens after that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users