Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Installing XP Home SP1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

I have reinstall XP Home SP1 on my computer and activated it. I am now attempting to install SP1a so I can get the Windows Updates, but there seems to be a problem with connecting to the Internet using whatever IE I have, so cannot download the SP1a.

So I installed SP2 which I had download earlier and was able to install and use Firefox which proved there was noting wrong with my Internet connection, but I still cannot use IE to download any other Windows Updates.

Has anyone got any idea what can be causing the problem. It is after all a completely clean install with nothing else installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

If your installation of XP included SP1 you already have it installed.  There is no SP1A, the service packs are SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4.

You already have SP2 installed, try downloading SP3 next.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

I tried installing SP2 then SP3 and everything seems to work fine except that I still cannot connect to the Internet through Internet explorer. Firefox works fine but as you know, Windows Updates uses Internet explorer.

Clicking on Internet explorer seems to open the page but after a few seconds tells me there is an error. Same thing when I try to go to the Updates web site. It starts checking to see what updates I need then pops up with the error message.

I have tried various fixes such as Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer and installing a more up to date IE but nothing works.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

What version of IE are you using?

Please try the following.

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one)

To open the program click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

Click on All Programs.

Click on Windows Repair (All in one), this may be listed as Tweaking.com.

If you are running Windows Vista, 7, or 8 right click on Windows Repair (All in one)  and then click on Run as administrator.

Notice:  You will need to disable your antivirus in order to run this program, for this reason you should run this while off line.

Go to Step 2 and click on the Do it button to allow CheckDisk to run. 

windowsrepairstep2-1_zps08aed02b.png

Go to Step 3 and click on the Do it button to run System File Check.

windowsrepairstep3-1_zps935b7603.png

Go to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore.

windowsrepairstept4-1_zpseb336401.png

Go to Start Repairs and click on the Start button.

Important: Do not make any changes to the check marks.

For those running Windows 8 please note that  Reset Registry Permissions is not checked by design.

When the page below opens click on the Start button.

windowsrepairstartrepairs-1_zpsa179850d.

Please copy and paste the Windows Repair Log in your next post.  This log (_windows_repair_log.txt) is located in the following folder:

*  64-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

*  32-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Copy the file path for your version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png and paste it in the Search all programs and files box.

Click on Logs.

Click on _Windows_Repair_Logs.

Copy and paste this log in your next post. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

I have now discovered that I have IE6 but do not have time to take your advice at the moment because its Christmas time and that means being kept busy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users