Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC reboots when playing games

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ravens610

ravens610

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

So I'm having a problem with my pc rebooting when playing arma 3 or battlefield 4

I thought the problem was over heating and checked temperatures

My gpu heats up to about 40C which shouldn't be a problem

my cpu heats up to about 50-60C when it reboots

I recently installed a new gpu

Here's my computer specs

Motherboard gigabyte ga-f2a85x-up4

PSU Corsair 650 bronze rated

GPU XFX Radeon HD 7850 1gb 256 bit GDDR5

RAM 4 x G.skill RIPJAWS 8gb card (32 gb total)

1 TB HDD

Running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

cpu AMD A10 5800k APU 3.80 GHz

I tried uninstalling all gpu drivers and re installing and that didn't help.

Thanks in advange.

Edited by ravens610, 21 December 2013 - 12:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'd verify that the memory is a good matched pair using memtest86 as for sometimes processes that are RAM intensive will crash the system into a reboot condition, although a reboot is usually caused by a weak power supply. Looking at your hardware you have a good name brand PSU, however to rule this out do you have another known good 650 watt PSU to try in this system to see if the problem goes away?

I have seen before graphics cards that overheat and cause this as well, but its only 40C

Also what are you using for CPU heatsink?.... this CPU should run closer to thr 45-50C range and not be climbing to 60C unless your heatsink is not rated for the CPU, thermal compaound has dried up making a poor conductive bond between APU and Heatsink, or you have heat building up inside the case because the case has inadequate airflow.

Edited by goldfist, 21 December 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Your GPU XFX Radeon HD 7850 1gb 256 bit GDDR5, requires at leat a 500 Watt Power supply unit. Whern you ad in your CPU, and other components you are probably using mor power that you PSU is made to handle.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 ravens610

ravens610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna run memtest tomorrow, however I'm leaning towards it being the psu. I figured 650 would be plenty but I suppose with a heavy load like bf4 or arma3 it might be pushing it's power limits. I don't think it's cooling since my pc is in a giant case and I tried running it with a huge fan with the case open so I think overheating shouldn't be the issue. My heat sink is the cooler master that came stock with the CPU so maybe I could upgrade that. As far as thermal paste I'll look at that. Since it might need to be re applied. I haven't applied it myself before but I've read that little goes a long way. So I'm sure I could figure it out.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

I don't know why people are suggesting a 650 watt Corsair PSU is not large enough for what you are using, it's more than enough.  Unless it's faulty that is.  You could try loading up your system with something like the torture test in Prime 95 (this will max out your CPU and test memory stability).  If there is a problem with cooling, memory or overall stability it will likely show up in this test within a couple of hours.  You may want to have a hardware monitoring utility open to keep an eye on temperature and voltages in this.

For the graphics Furmark is a good test.  Again this loads up the graphics card more than any game is likely to.  Try the stability test and the benchmark modes in both window and full screen.

Before doing any of that, if you haven't done already, it might be helpful to do a full uninstall (choose Express Uninstall All AMD Software) of all AMD Catalyst drivers before re-installing.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 ravens610

ravens610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

Yes I uninstalled aNd re installed yesterday.
I had some weird issues afterwards, like my mouse wouldn't power for some odd reason, I had to switch USB ports. But everything was re installed correctly after full uninstall and still no go.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

Also just to check, you connected up a six pin PCI-e power connector to the plug on the front of the graphics card?

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 ravens610

ravens610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

Yeah, there's only one place to plug in a connector.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Can you please perform the speccy.

#11 ravens610

ravens610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2eNTUf4cylR0kpkcKQUsaB3

#12 ravens610

ravens610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

I unplugged the leds in my case and I also unplugged my dvd drive, and that way I was able to run it at full load for about 30-40 minutes. So I believe that psu wasn't able to handle the leds and the huge fans and the 500w gpu. However, upon looking at speccy after a recent reboot, I noticed my cpu was at 70c, which is pretty damn hot considering my room is 55F at most. So I believe better cpu cooling might be in order, does anyone have any ideas?

My cpu is idling around 62C, so I believe I do need better cooling for sure.

Edited by ravens610, 22 December 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Your psu is more than adequate enough for that setup I'd look at your cooling.

What kind of case do you have?

#14 ravens610

ravens610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

I'm not sure the brand but it's a rack mounted case.

Kindda like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CLOJ9dCWxbsCFY47Mgodn2IAiA&Item=N82E16811148058&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Server+Chassis-_-N82E16811148058&ef_id=UVNNDgAABT73mjfU:20131223011908:s

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Need the exact model number so we can determine the actual size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users