Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8.1 File History and backup help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

I just got an external hard drive recently, and I'm new to back ups with one.  Previously I just saved my documents, and pictures to a flash drive.

I have heard conflicting stories on File History.  It is set to ON, and I have backed it up twice.  If I understand this right, I have to go to File History, and select system image backup.  I did that.  But I am not sure if this is replacing the previous File History back up, or making an entirely new one, each time, thus filling up my external hard drive eventually. 

I have My Passport, and I do a back up with SmartWare.  It does NOT do system settings back ups.  So this is one reason to do a File History back up.  Now if I am reading this right, File History is not a complete back up, and certainly not cloning your computer hard drive.  I could get a free backup software program, and clone my hard drive, but if it clones a virus, or some problem, and doesn't store older clones, that could be a problem.  I would like all system settings, configurations, programs, and of course documents, downloads, pictures, videos etc...to be backed up.  I do not want to keep my external drive plugged in all the time.  I want to do the back ups every few days, and that is it.  Could I clone my computer hard drive, AND keep more frequent back ups with the My Passport SmartWare software, plus File History back ups?  Or would one or more of these erase, or cause problems with one of these 3 types of back ups? I have 918 GB on my computer hard drive C, with 744 GB free.  On the My Passport external drive I have 812 GB free of 931 GB.  So I have plenty of room to work with. 

Another question is, if you clone your hard drive C, in order to restore, do you have to make a bootable disc too?  Sorry for my ignorance, I've never done

backups like this before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

I use neither, due to Microsoft still cannot get it right. All of my documents get mirrored to a Lenova ix2-4 on my home LAN, a copy on a Owncloud server that our family owns, and if needed, a third copy of important documents and pictures on a box.com account.

Only time I use a USB pocket drive, is when I need portable apps, or when needing to install divers on a machine that is not going to be connected to the LAN or outside world.

If you do want to use the backup feature, and are not running the Pro version of Windows, upgrade to pro. It will allow you to save to a network drive location.

I will also tell you that when we (my business) tested for our clients the latest version of Acronis, we found a lot of problems with that also, same as we did for the built in backup feture for Win8.x.

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

I am running Win8.1, and that is it.  I bought this computer less than a year ago, and it came with Win8.  I did not realize Win8.1 had a pro version.  Money is tight, and I did good just purchasing the My Passport external hard drive.  I only use a home desktop computer.  I don't need to do synching with cell phones, tablets, or anything like that.  I don't have wi-fi, or a network set up.  I did have wi-fi, until I got this computer.  Cisco wanted money to help me fix the problem with the router, or buy another wi-fi, which I did not need anymore.  I did have other people using the network in my family.  Now I do not have them living here anymore, so I am hard wired to my modem, no wi-fi at all.  I gave up the wi-fi, which was right over a year old.  I doubt if I ever get another one. Thank you for your thoughts. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users