Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Critical Update Notification

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tweener

Tweener

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

I have had this problem before, but it just cropped up again yesterday. OS is Win98SE. Critical Update Notification displays the "new updates available" dialog right when I'm in the middle of something else. If I choose "Update Now" the update website scans and shows no new critical updates available. I haven't had this problem since my last clean install, and I should mention that our town was subjected to a massive power outage on Wednesday night while I was at my computer and online. So far the incorrect update reporting has occured twice since the outage. I'm thinking there's a connection, but I don't know what it may be. Scandisk showed no disk errors after the outage, BTW. Any ideas? I still have two months to go before this is a moot point and I can just disable it in task manager, or I could just disable it now and check only on update Tuesdays for the next two months - but I have a bad memory for things like that....

Also I should add that I did multiple Google searches and also searched this forum with no indication that anyone else has had this problem.

Edited by Tweener, 06 May 2006 - 09:36 AM.

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

There really aren't many updates for 98 anymore. I'd disable it. I do all my checking manually on my 98 boxes and when I reinstall, I use a program that has critical updates that is downloadable from the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users