Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete a corruped WiFi Profile?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DougCuk

DougCuk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I had a problem with a corrupted WiFi profile on a customers Win8 laptop.

It just wouldn't connect even though the details appeared correct - seen this before

- easy to fix you just delete the profile and recreate it.

But where the heck has the "Manage Wireless Networks" GUI gone in Win8 ?

Checked the internet for an answer - it no longer exists!
http://blog.boyet.com/blog/blog/another-windows-8-annoyance-managing-wifi-profiles/

MS removed it as they say it was no longer required - all done automatically in Win8
But even they admit that you have to resort to the command prompt to delete a profile now
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

Many posts giving guidance on using command prompt to Win8 users - God help them!
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-manage-wireless-networks-in-windows-8-1/

And a lot of pissed off users on Social.TechNet forum - and turns out its even worse on Win8.1
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ac80d8ec-21ad-4d44-9a0c-c8777f861db7/windows-8-manage-wireless-networks?forum=w8itpronetworking

So there we have it - Microsoft logic at it's best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Would this help? - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wifi-profile-manager-windows-8

#3 DougCuk

DougCuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

The feedback on that utility is very mixed - most report they can't get it to work at all any more - and others that is creates duplicate extra profiles when you attempt to delete an existing profile. I did comment on various of the sites listed in my original post about this utility.

Many requests to the author in the feedback - have gone unanswered - he seems to have abandoned any further updates. But you will find my own request in the list - asking for a bug fix and update for Win8.1 - as this utility would solve a lot of problems if it worked ok.  

I was more amused by the logic of Microsoft in removing a perfectly functional Windows GUI (interface) in favour of the command prompt - as suggested in their own help page (link above) - and this on their new flagship GUI product.

Edited by DougCuk, 22 December 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

To delete a stored profile open the Elevated Command Prompt and type netsh wlan delete profile name=[profile name]

Edited by dc3, 22 December 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DougCuk

DougCuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

That was rather my point !!

Esoteric command prompt entries are required to do something that was easy in XP,Vista and Win7 via a GUI option.

I know how to do it that way - every single one of the links I posted explains that.

My point is in Win8 you should not be expected to have to restort to stuff like that.

Whoever at Microsoft decided to remove the "Manage Wireless Networks" GUI needs to see a shrink!!

Anyway Happy Xmas

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

At the risk of side tracking this topic further...

You are preaching to the choir.  I just wanted to provide the script to delete the profile.

And a Merry Christmas to your and yours.! :santa:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users