Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

page fault in nonpaged area message on blue sceens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beckyanne2002

beckyanne2002

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

I received this message on a blue screen which does not allow my computer to start. When I first received it last week, it was only when I tried to log onto Firefox. I ran a scan using Avast, CCleaner, and Spybot in safe mode then did a disk check on boot up. It all seemed fine after that.

Yesterday I received the same message again and I restored my computer to an earlier date (after I thought I had fixed the issue last week). It worked and I again scheduled a scan disk check when my computer restarted today. Everything was fine, but could not open Firefox. I could however open IE. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and then received a message stating something like do not have read access? Once again, I started in safe mode and it opened for me. Since then when trying to boot normally I instantly get the blue screen and the message: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Stop:0x000000520 (0xB09B4000,0x00000001,0x8058289E,0x00000000).

On thge 10th of December Avast did find a virus that I accidently chose to fix automatically instead of sending to chest. I don't know if that has anything to do with all of this, but seems like that is when trouble started. The file name where it was located was C;\Documents and Settings\Becky Beach\Favorites\Dell DImension DE051 184pin Desktop RAM Memory. I have not installed any new memory since about a year ago.

I also use CCleaner registryt fix, but I back up and I merged the files from December back into the memory thinking that may have been the issue also.

This is my system properties:

Microstoft WIndows XP

Home Edition

Versioon 2002

Service Pack 3

DEll Dimension DE051

Intel®

Celeron® CPU 2.53GHz

2.53 GHz 2.00 GB of RAM

I hope I have included all the details that are needed. I do not know a lot about computers, so I will need step by step help.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2013 - 08:56 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 beckyanne2002

beckyanne2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Update on this. I used antispyware and malwarebytes. Ran full scans with both in afe mode and found 16 in the antispyware scan and 64 in the malwarebytes scan. I tried to boot up normally and still get the same message, but this time at the bottom it says something about memory dump. I am assuming that is because I have the settings now to make .dmp files?

#3 beckyanne2002

beckyanne2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

I just reread my message and I entered the wrong error message. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA  Stop: 0x00000050 (0xB09B4000,0x00000001,0x8058289E,0x000000) Sorry for the confusion.

#4 flossuk

flossuk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hello.

I had a very similar sudden and unexpected experience and I think (in my case at least) I may have worked out what was causing it.

I had a couple of errors casuing a BSOD, the first (occurred only once) being:

STOP 0x000000BE (0xB8B2E000, 0x2CA23121, 0xB8B2C7C0, 0x0000000B)

srv.sys - address B8B2E000 base at B8B2D000

The above error was then replaced with the second, which occurred very shortly after booting up (and in one case during), and certainly after launching Internet Explorer or even Explorer:

BCCCode 10000050 ("Page fault in memory"?)

BCP1: B85A4000; BCP2: 00000001; BCP3: 8058289E; BCP4: 00000000

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xB8D3D000, 0x00000001, 0x8058289E, 0x00000000)

I had thought that maybe something was going wrong with my computer's memory, or that there was another hardware failure (in particular, the first time it happened I was using a new external USB for the first time).

However, I was able to boot to safe mode in a stable fashion which seemed to suggest it wasn't a hardware issue.  Carrying out a system resore to the day before (thankfully there was one!), everything has been fine since (i.e. going from an unusable computer to one that has now worked fine for several days).

The only thing that had changed on my computer since the retore point was that I updated the AVAST program from version 2014.9.0.2008 to 2014.9.0.2011.

I don't know whether this is a duff update, or perhaps something went awry when my computer installed it (perhaps more likely to be the latter - it is an old PC!), but I won't be carrying out another AVAST program update until there have been a few more published, in case there is an issue and they need time to figure it out!

Due to a lack of hard drive space there was only a single restore point available - I really don't know what I would have done if there hadn't been, so I'll be interested to hear the views of others too for future reference!

Not sure whether the above helped at all!

Regards

#5 Tcbrit

Tcbrit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

I had the same problem, I believe, on Win XP SP3 - blue screens after logging in on normal boots. I also booted into SAFE mode and used the last system restore point - that AVAST had created before it did the upgrade - to get my system working again.

As flossuk, I will wait until Avast have produced some more upgrades, or I can find information that they have recognised and fixed the issue, before I try to upgrade again.

#6 avidgamr

avidgamr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

You are not the only ones. Not exactly sure if it's avast or Firefox causing this but I personally experienced the "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" reboot loop in 2 of my computers, saw it on my uncle's friend's laptop AND my uncle just experienced it on his! Not a co-incidence (IMO). :smash:

My latest experience:

Computer with 32-bit XP SP3 (4GB of RAM), avast 2014.9.0.2007, Firefox (version unknown but likely newest v26.0 as it's set to auto update).

Decided to update avast to check a file (and then was going to download/install Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to also check it). Anyways, updated avast to newest version (currently 2014.9.0.2011 I believe) (had it update itself- I had update set to manual), then rebooted as it requested.

After it rebooted my ZoneAlarm firewall told me Firefox's "updater.exe" wanted to connect to the Internet; I told it to allow it thinking nothing of it... Within about 30 seconds, I think, I got the dreaded blue screen. (if you don't have Microsoft's genius reboot on error feature disabled, you get stuck in a reboot loop! Disable at: "System Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings>Automatically Restart")

Rebooted and same thing at reboot (about the time I see the Windows Desktop it bluescreened with said BSOD error).

Okay then, rebooted into Safe Mode, used System Restore and took it back to that morning's restore point. It auto rebooted.

Started fine this time (old version of avast again) but several programs wouldn't start; one being Firefox. Uninstalled (Firefox) using Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled again (v26.0 at this time) and all seems fine now...! :bounce:

Not exactly sure if the bug is in Firefox or Avast but it's dangerous and annoying! :nono:  I will confirm this has happened on *four* computers I personally know of within about 2 weeks! Only option I know of at the moment to get around it was disable program update on avast and leave it at either version 2014.9.0.2007 or 2014.9.0.2008 (can't disable updates on Firefox as Adobe has their programs auto check for updates and will disable themselves within Firefox when they find they are outdated, and they are kind of important!) as they don't seem to be affected. Kind of leaning towards avast but?... :scratchhead:  Ideas? Opinions? Anybody? Let's compare notes and program versions, etc.? :idea:

#7 SamyDelic

SamyDelic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Hi everybody.

I found this topic while trying to find help on a similar problem with "page fault in nonpaged area message" BSOD. First of all I have Toshiba Satellite L40, Pentium DualCore 1,73 GHz, 2Gb RAM, Win Xp Pro SP3. All that started with the uninstallation of AVAST AV (last update on Dec 2013) with Revo Uninstaller 1.95 because I was gettng a constant message that AVAST is out of date. I used advanced uninstall option and deleted a hell of a registry keys (1st mistake). It took almost 3 hours to complete the task. Finally I used Avastclear.exe to finish the uninstall process because it's a known issue with this AV that it cannot be simply deleted/uninstalled by 3rd party soft or with Windows uninstall. Then I lost completely System Restore. I tried to recover that and lost next 3 hours and achieved nothing. Zero!! System Restore not working. All gimmicks with the installation CD, downloading various remedies from the net, cleaning registry with Registry Reviver, about 50 "safe mode" boot attempts, manually changing the registry and still nothing. The 2nd mistake was to install the latest AVAST AV version (free of course) and then I got the BSOD message mentioned before. In safe mode I finally uninstalled AVAST for good and the I run the Avastclear.exe utility and I simply switched to the AVG AV latest free edition (as of today). Still, System Restore is not working. Now, what is here to learn:

1st -  backup all your data (pictures, datasheets etc - I didn't but luckily I didn't lose any).

2nd - Create a restore point before attempting any gimmicks with the registry or deleting data from the HDD.

3rd  - avoid installing AVAST AV. Use any other free or commercial AV.

4th - While Revo Uninstaller is a great soft, maybe it's better to avoid deleting registry keys. 

5th - create a boot CD before you start any of these mentioned before.

At the end I found which registry keys got corrupted but I'm going to reinstall Win Xp till april and I'll switch to either LinuxMint or Win7 after that. Oh, use Cleaner regularly but, I repeat, avoid playing with registry if you don't know what you  are doing.I hope this post will come handy to whom it may concern before problems arise.

Edited by SamyDelic, 06 January 2014 - 06:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users