Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create DiskImage, refresh Laptop, pull files / program files off disc image

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 teatrap

teatrap

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Would be good to have the following plan given the go ahead or have the holes pointed out in it...

I want to refresh my Laptop, there's a few things that are a bit iffy on it, I feel like a refresh might help it. I've never actually refreshed my laptop before so it's a bit of uncertainty and a bit of learning. 

My plan is to create a disk image using Drive Image XML (Or should I use the built in Windows Option?) to my external HD. Then after my computer has been refreshed to factory settings I'll mount the Disc Image to a different HD (that's got more space than the Image will be) and I'll then be able to pull the files off the Image. These would be documents / program files etc... 

I don't know how this affects things such as the Path in

System and security > System > Advanced system settings > System Properties > Environment variables. 

I've added to that recently for Eclipse and Java, so I'd like that to remain...? 

I'm guessing the process will be :

1 Create disc image

2 Mount & test Disc image

3 Reset laptop to factory settings.

4 update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 (was 8 originally...) 

5 copy x86 and x64 program folders over from the disc image.....

Is this cool? Am I missing stuff / anything extra I should be aware of? 

Cheers

Edited by teatrap, 20 December 2013 - 06:38 PM.

Operating system_Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (9600)
CPU_Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard_Hewlett-Packard (1966)
RAM_12063mb
Hard Drive_931gb (HGST HTS541010A9E680)
Graphics card_Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Sound card_IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

Anyone? 

RAM_12063mb

#3 nolacs22

nolacs22

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

When you refresh it keeps ALL of your personal files,all apps,programs that did NOT come with the computer will be removed and put in an app on the desktop.They will have to be reinstalled.my computer came with norton security,and was still installed,but reverted back to the trial date.I just reentered the product key and everything was updated.It takes a couple of hours for windows installer to put everything back where it goes. Good Luck,Nolacs22 I believe it will go back to windows 8

Edited by nolacs22, 22 December 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

While this might be a viable plan for your data, it will not work for your programs.  Programs install data all over the drive and write to the registry.

In order to get the programs back they will have to be reinstalled.

A better plan might be:

1. Back up your data

2. Verify backup

3. Restore machine to factory defaults.

4. Update to Windows 8.1

5. Install desired programs

6. Restore data

7. Make image to allow you to return to this state in the future

8. Update image on a regular basis, keeping at least one previous version is advised

#5 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hey Kilroy - I've created a Disc Image, mounted it to a drive and it's all good... I'm yet to restore to factory defaults yet though..

Reinstalling everything again is going to be a real chore - I've got loads of stuff, office / eclipse / java / open source programs / libre / readers etc etc... So all of these have to be individually reinstalled? :smash:

6 : Restore data

grab stuff off the image?

7. Make Image to allow you to return to this state in the future

Yeah I should definitely do that - backing up on a regular basis, I'm doing that more so now, bit late though. I've pratted about a bit and there are a few thing's that just aren't working right on this computer now!

I have a question though - I've heard that the OS should be on a separate partition to the general file storage, is this something you generally go with? Would that have made this situation any easier? Currently I have the C drive then the recovery drive is the D drive. Just wondering.

Programs install data all over the drive and write to the registry

I'm guessing that I can't copy paste the registry then...

cheers

RAM_12063mb

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Copying programs without installing them or without a 3rd party program (Acronis Offers tools to move an OS to another computer) is extremely difficult and usually doesn't work. Having your operating sytem on a different parition then your data is good practice however depending on the size and amount of data needed for programs your performance may suffer. 

Your best option IMO.

1. Why are you wanting to do a system refresh, or what problems are you attempting to fix?
  2. Create your factory Recovery Media (either USB or DVD) using the provided utility from your manufacture
  3. Use a 3rd party program such as Easeus Todo Backup Free edition, or Acronis True Image to create a back up image you can mount should you need to recover Data files or personal files. (I am not familiar With Drive Image XL or its stability, I have used Easeus Todo Backup and Acronis with great success)
  4. Create a list of programs that will need to be reinstalled when If Windows is Refreshed you can use Minitoolbox to list installed programs
  5. Export Data or create backup data files for the programs that offer it (Outlook, Contacts, Bookmarks etc.) copy them to external media
  6. Download all the installers ahead of time for the programs you need to re-install and copy them to external media. 
  7. Make sure all of your personal files are backed up
  8. Perform the Microsoft "refresh" or revert your system back to factory state. 
  9. Install all Windows updates, and update to Windows 8.1
  10. Install any remaining updates
  11. Install all of your programs
  12. Using our tutuorial Create a custom Refresh image of your new Windows 8.1.
  13. If you want to keep a separate copy of your Os you can use the third party tools mentioned above or just copy your newly created .img file to external media. 

Should you need to refresh in the future you can use the image you created and save yourself from installing all the programs again.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 December 2013 - 07:26 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Why are you wanting to do a system refresh, or what problems are you attempting to fix?

I feel as there are probably a few thing's a bit skew if about the laptop, but what I know is that file history doesn't work and I can't seem to change the user name of my account. There's no virus issue.

Create your factory Recovery Media (either USB or DVD) using the provided utility from your manufacture

Created a disc image using the native system image tool. I've created a of the boot drive onto USB (and backed up that image) a password reset thing as well. The drive image has been mounted to a drive letter and checked (although I'll repeat this process as the image is a few day's old now.)

Use a 3rd party program such asurl

I'm tempted to use Acronis as I've heard good thing's about it, I might have a play with Easeus first.... But for now I've used the native system image, I might double that up with Drive Image XML / One of those you mentioned (is there any particular reason to use these over the native tool?)

LIST1

Create a list of programs that will need to be reinstalled when If Windows is Refreshed you can use url

Yeah I can do that, although they should be listen in the Program Files (x86) & (x64) folders as well... i think? 

Export Data or create backup data files for the programs that offer it (Outlook, Contacts, Bookmarks etc.) them to external media/font/color/size

Won't this be in the Disc Image? /font/color

Download all the installers ahead of time for the programs you need to re-install and them to external media/font/color/size/

Yeah I've got quite a few of them in a folder (CC Cleaner, MWB and a few others...) Good shout though I'll check this. 

Make sure all of your personal files are backed up

I was thinking that this might be in the image as well.... feel like I've been a touch presumptuous on this front! 

Using our

I'll read through this/font/color

If you want to keep a separate of your Os you can use the third party tools mentioned above or just your newly created .img file to external media/size/font/color

Is this for the process during set up?

Having your operating system on a different partition then your data is good practice however depending on the size and amount of data needed for programs your performance may suffer

fair, well I'm not too sure whether it would affect me negatively (my systems in my signature) or whether different uses change this much.  Do most people do this? (Split partition for OS / Files) Does it create loads more work saving file paths, and what files does it save, would an EXE file be stored on the OS or the files section? (Is it basically just the library's on a different partition? )

Thanks very much, hope this made sense (very tireeeeed)

RAM_12063mb

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

1. Have you enabled File History?
  2. The "Account" your trying to change the name of is it a "Local" Account or A Microsoft Live account?
  3. The bennifit of using the 3rd party tool is to keep your "Factory Image" intact and to mount and read/change the image you created and not the factory image. The factory image will include any software provided by the OEM along with All the drivers for the system included.
  4. Yes your installed programs are in the Program files and Program Files x86 folders. The Mintoolbox Report just makes a nice report in a Text file you can referr to.
  5. Your program databases and files will be in the backup, and you don't nesessarily need them stored on separate media. The bennifit of exporting or locating them ahead of time is ease of importing them back into your program when you reinstall and you wont have to mount your back up image and navigate or try and find the database files later. it. IE: Microsoft Outlook, Family Tree Maker, Adobe Photoshop Plugins and Settings (there can be ALLOT of thes if your a photagrapher)
  6. Your personal files should be in your back up you create with a 3rd party program or Windows recimge. However they won't be in your Factory Image 
  7. No, Keeping a "Back up" of your backup means having it in more than one location. For example if your only back up is a Window 8 refresh image its kept on your Primary Hard drive by default, (this can be changed) if that drive Failes you will loose EVERYTHING. You can keep a second copy someplace safe such as a removable hard drive. Incase something happens to the first backup.
  8. You can keep your documents, pictures, movies, Music ETC. on a Drive Different then Windows and your performance shouldnt be effected. When you store Program Files or EXE files On a drive Other then the Windows drive it may effect the performance of the System (Although with SSD drives and Faster memory this is becomming less of an issue). From a business standpoint any data not essential to the operation of the computer and shared files are generally kept on a "DATA" drive. If Windows crashes, you reload Windows and your programs and your "Data" is safe.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 December 2013 - 03:15 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

1. Have you enabled File History?
  2. The "Account" your trying to change the name of is it a "Local" Account or A Microsoft Live account?
  3. The bennifit of using the 3rd party tool is to keep your "Factory Image" intact and to mount and read/change the image you created and not the factory image. The factory image will include any software provided by the OEM along with All the drivers for the system included.
  4. Yes your installed programs are in the Program files and Program Files x86 folders. The Mintoolbox Report just makes a nice report in a Text file you can referr to.
  5. Your program databases and files will be in the backup, and you don't nesessarily need them stored on separate media. The bennifit of exporting or locating them ahead of time is ease of importing them back into your program when you reinstall and you wont have to mount your back up image and navigate or try and find the database files later. it. IE: Microsoft Outlook, Family Tree Maker, Adobe Photoshop Plugins and Settings (there can be ALLOT of thes if your a photagrapher)
  6. Your personal files should be in your back up you create with a 3rd party program or Windows recimge. However they won't be in your Factory Image 
  7. No, Keeping a "Back up" of your backup means having it in more than one location. For example if your only back up is a Window 8 refresh image its kept on your Primary Hard drive by default, (this can be changed) if that drive Failes you will loose EVERYTHING. You can keep a second copy someplace safe such as a removable hard drive. Incase something happens to the first backup.
  8. You can keep your documents, pictures, movies, Music ETC. on a Drive Different then Windows and your performance shouldnt be effected. When you store Program Files or EXE files On a drive Other then the Windows drive it may effect the performance of the System (Although with SSD drives and Faster memory this is becomming less of an issue). From a business standpoint any data not essential to the operation of the computer and shared files are generally kept on a "DATA" drive. If Windows crashes, you reload Windows and your programs and your "Data" is safe.

1 - Yeah I enabled File History, It actually worked for a little bit but this is going back month's now and I kind of gave up on it... I can't remember the exact thing's that I did when trying to sort it out but there were a few thing's...

2 - The name of a local account, basically I wanted to change the name of the account so that in the CMD prompt (and any breadcrumb menus and stuff) the other name came up, basically just change the name... But I changed it and it didn't really work, it went weird and my name was still on the cmd prompt and stuff... 

3 - I don't really understand what you're referring to by 'Factory Image'... The D Recovery drive ? I can back that up with 3rd party as well... I was wondering why use 3rd party instead of the built in Windows system Image, but you may have answered that and I've just missed the point. 

4 - cool I'll run that. 

5 - Cool. I haven't got too much like that but I can always just copy the Users folder over. 

6 - By factory Image again is this the D Drive? Basically when I think of 'factory image' I think of the state the system was in when I very first turned it on... I'm presuming that this is whats in the D drive but I've never actually looked in that drive. 

7 - AH yes - I definitely have it on a separate drive to the one my systems running on :)

8 - I like the idea of having the drives separate and it makes sense, but I don't understand all the registry stuff and what not so perhaps I'd best stay away. 

RAM_12063mb

#10 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

I made a thread about the file history thing a while back here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513151/file-history-drive-not-recognised/

RAM_12063mb

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

Factory image = Factory recovery partiton or the System Recovery Disks you created with the manufactures Utility.

With Windows accounts the user profile folder (document, folder etc) takes the name of the orignal account name. There are a few options outlined Here From the Seven Forums (the guide is the same for Windows 8). I will look into the File history problem a bit more

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

Lets check event viewer and see What kind of erors File history is gernerating.. The handy utility I mentioned before Minitoolbox download it to your desktop and select List last 10 Event viewer errors, and list devices (check the ALL box). Post the log in your next reply.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 December 2013 - 12:15 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

here are the entries from today after trying to run file history. Though the times seem odd as I ran it about ten minutes ago and all the times are from over that...  

System errors:
=============
Error: (12/26/2013 08:07:15 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: ZIPPO)
Description: {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE}

Error: (12/26/2013 08:06:45 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: ZIPPO)
Description: {BF6C1E47-86EC-4194-9CE5-13C15DCB2001}

Error: (12/26/2013 07:22:28 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: machine-defaultLocalActivation{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}NT AUTHORITYLOCAL SERVICES-1-5-19LocalHost (Using LRPC)UnavailableUnavailable

RAM_12063mb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users