Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linked to latest version of Adobe Reader

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hello all,

Please post a link to Adobe Reader. I tried their web site, but the download came with a bunch of 3rd party software.  There is no way to disable the 3rd party software during the install..

thx!

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I believe that is true of all of Adobe's products. You have to uninstall the unwanted McAfee nonsense after the Adobe product is installed. Ridiculous.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

The other option is to use a different .pdf reader like I do. Such as PDF-XChange Viewer. It is a free download provided you follow the guidelines below.

The FREE PDF viewer download of the PDF-XChange Viewer may be used without limitation for Private, Commercial, Government and all uses, provided it is not -: incorporated or distributed for profit/commercial gain with other software or media distribution of any type - without first gaining permission.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

I get adobe here http://get.adobe.com/reader/

I have never had to uninstall the McAfee stuff. I just unchecked that option on the download page.

Optional offer:
Yes, install free McAfee Security Scan Plus to check the status of my PC security.

mcafee_banner_225x66.png

Learn more

Note the part I bolded. Also the download size changes depending if it is checked or not. There is a check box there that does not paste in correctly.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:40 AM

The third party stuff has been there for a while. That is how they get paid to offer free software. Nuance's PDF program is better in some ways than Adobe Reader.

But like any software that uses installers, they are required to allow you to choose to not allow to install the third party software, by letting you click on the boxes, to not load it.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:30 AM

I don't need Adobe Reader but in a recent Flash update, the option to uncheck the McAfee crap was not offered for the first time because that option was there previously. I don't know if this was deliberate or an Adobe mistake.

#7 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks I found another link on Adobe.com without all the 3rd party downloads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users