Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to cleanly transfer data from infected USB flash drive ?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sol80

sol80

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi, I've found various answers to this question perusing the internet and this site, but I just wanted to make sure I follow the correct steps, as your site advises that each problem is unique.

When connecting to a PC, my USB flash drive shows all of my folders as .scr files, with a file size of 0mb. I know my folders and the files within them are there because I have been using a Mac for the past year and never noticed this problem, as this virus/worm, whatever it is, does not seem to affect the Mac OS. I have also used the " attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* " to show the hidden files on my PC and you can see the real folders on the USB drive as well as the .scr files with the same name as the folders.  I have bought a new PC laptop and I want to transfer my data from my flash drives and external hard drive to my new computer, but I am afraid I will be transferring this virus to the new machine. I would like to know how I can cleanly transfer my data, then I intend to format all of my flash drives and external hard drives as well. If there is a way to clean the virus without formatting, that would work as well.

I have seen advice to disable autorun, both within Windows and using a program like AutoRun Exterminator or Panda USB Vaccine. I have also seen advice that you should use the command " attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* " to show the hidden files that the virus is hiding, and then to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or USBFix.

By the way, I have AVG 2014 Free antivirus installed on my desktop and McAfee antivirus and firewall on my PC laptop and neither one of them detects anything wrong with my flash drives.

I am also worried that my old Mac has now become a carrier of this virus, even though it does not display any symptoms. Is there anyway for my to make sure that I will not reinfect my flash drives by connecting them to the Mac?

I am also afraid that my external hard drives have become infected, even though they do not display the same symptoms. I actually thought my external hard drive had failed, because all of the data disappeared on it, but the disk space was still showing as used. I recovered the data to another external hard drive using a data recovery program. After recovering the data and running AVG 2014 Free antivirus on the new external hard drive, it found something like 200 trojans, cleaned them all. But I am afraid there are still some remants there. I refomatted my old external hard drive, so I am thinking that should be clean now?

Sorry for the very long post! I would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users