Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this network overworked??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi all, i just wanted to explain a network and was wondering if you think it is possibly overworked...

There are 4 main switches, each 8 ports and all gigabit switches....

The network has approx the following:

10 IP cameras

2 Servers one for cameras one for file sharing and printer management

2 card machines

5/6 computers

5/6 phones connected to wifi for simple web browsing

I have heard people say that IP cameras are very bandwidth intensive and i was just wondering if you think i am putting too much on the network.

The switches, and computers and servers all have gigabit NIC's.

I have attached a picture of the CCTV server which runs the cameras 24/7. the NIC shows about 2.5% usage of the Gigabit card...So surely if that server can handle a constant packets from 10 cameras whilst only having around 2.5% network utilization everything should be OK? Is this correct or am i looking at it all wrong?

See attached image.

was_server.jpg

Thanks!!

Edited by David Ashcroft, 20 December 2013 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

You are barely even touching what it can do. It is not the infrastructure, such as the wiring that matters. What matters is the router and modem, if they can handle the traffic. Especially the router.

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

The router is simply used to connect to the internet. The router comes into the building and is connected to one of the switches via Ethernet, the entire internal network is ran via the switches.

The switches are Netgear Gigabit. 

Link: http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/netgear-8-port-10-100-1000-mbps-switch-2G5W.html?q=netgear%20switch

Thanks! 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

My advice would be to buy a spare switch for the one connected to the cameras. That is for home or maybe small business use but that amount of data I doubt it will last a year. At that price you'd have to buy a bunch of them to reach the price of a professional grade switch. And who knows by then something newer/faster might be out =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

The router is simply used to connect to the internet. The router comes into the building and is connected to one of the switches via Ethernet, the entire internal network is ran via the switches.

The switches are Netgear Gigabit. 

Link: http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/netgear-8-port-10-100-1000-mbps-switch-2G5W.html?q=netgear%20switch

Thanks!

It does not matter what switch you have. Again, you are barely even touching it,in overworking the Router or even switch. The traffic that you are sending through your network, is not even enough to cause issues as I stated before.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

My advice would be to buy a spare switch for the one connected to the cameras. That is for home or maybe small business use but that amount of data I doubt it will last a year. At that price you'd have to buy a bunch of them to reach the price of a professional grade switch. And who knows by then something newer/faster might be out =)

The OP does not need a managed switch, nor even showing a reason to go with anything different than what they already have.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

and where did I say he did? Only reason I mentioned it is because I mentioned that is a switch for home use. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 installer

installer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

I Agree. Always try to provide a separate switch for your CCTV Systems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users