Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows RESTORE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Hi, I have found that using Windows Restore can save you a LOT of grief with a new computer.

I have had my new Toshiba about two months and had to Refresh it 3 times. All because I just loaded everything into it that I had on my old 32 bit machine! Which caused a lot of problems.

BUT, now I am using Restore. Installing maybe three of my previous programs into Windows 8.1, letting it work for a few days then setting my own Restore point. (Windows sets them itself, and dates them too), but when everything is operating smoothly, I set my own and name it, like MASX REstore#3, so I can recognize it easily.

This way, I KNOW everything up to that Restore point was running well, and I need only to go back a few hours or days to correct it. And I only lose the programs installed after that Restore point and am able to see what is suspected of causing problems.

I am up to REstore point #11 and it hasn't been too much trouble, compared to the rush headlong into it thing I WAS doing and having to Refresh.

And since taking out Norton and Google Chrome, ten days ago, I have not had ONE freeze up and I was getting them regularly and had to shut down with the on/off button! Not good. Using the Restore allowed me to pinpoint Chrome as the culprit.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Toshiba Satellite S50D, 2.4Ghz, A10 quad core, 8Gb RAM, Terabyte HD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

Are you asking about a feature that has been around since Windows XP, or just glorifying a feature?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users