Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Hub Power Exceeded

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 kurewe

kurewe

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

I understand that this topic might have been covered numerous times. However, after reading other posts, I wanted to see if there are any fresh ideas or fixes. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Recently I've started having this USB power issue pop up on random computers. So far, it's happening on two HP Ultra Slim Desktops and two HP Probooks. All of them are using Win XP and every one of them is a different model. The I haven't yet been able to find a fix. I first noticed the problem when trying to setup an XP PC with a 3rd display, using an iOGear USB to VGA adapter. I then noticed that not only would it not initialize the adapter due to the "USB Hub Power Exceeded", it would not initialize a USB flash driver either. Peripherals such as mice and keyboards do not seem to be a problem. The problem then popped up on a computer that was working without issue with a 3rd display attached via an iOGear USB VGA Adapter. Suddenly, it's having the same exact issues as the previous. When asking the other tech around the office, one had a notebook that has been doing this for 2 months and another just started having the problem last week on a notebook. Neither of these notebooks were/are using a USB VGA Adapter.

The notebook that came down with the issue last week seemed to do so right after some windows updates were installed. These are the updates, that I was able to find, which were installed just prior to the issue starting: KB2898785, KB2893984, KB2893294, KB2898715, KB2892075, KB2850085, KB2917500. I did not see any driver update installation and there was no other software installed just prior. I uninstalled each of these, one by one, and the issue remains.

I can tell you that all the normal suggestions have been tried and that "you have too many things connected by USB" and "Hide the USB Hub Power Exceeded notification" are neither the issue nor the solution. I swapped the hard drive into a PC that I had tested to be working properly and the issue followed. That ruled out any hardware issues as far as I am concerned. I checked several chipset driver versions and the problem didn't change. I checked the BIOS for a setting to reconfigure the USB 3.0 ports to function as USB 2.0 ports. However, HP has a limited function BIOS on these machines, so I was not able to adjust the USB 3.0 function to allow Windows to use the native EHCI driver. I've turned off any power management of the USB Root Hub(s). I've "uninstalled" the USB controllers and hubs through device manager and then let the system re-install after a restart. I've checked the drivers that are being used for USB against other computers of the same models that are working properly and there doesn't appear to be a difference in the driver. So, I don't think that the drivers themselves have been updated or changed. I am stumped.

Does anyone have any suggestions or hunches? Please don't re-hash the usual suggestions from all the previous posts. As I said, I have tried all the typical suggestions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and any useful suggestions you may have.

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2013 - 12:52 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254901

Louis

#3 kurewe

kurewe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Louis,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. However, I have read that KB article. As I indicated in my original post, this isn't an issue with having too many devices connected via USB. I am hesitant to add a powered hub to each of these machine, as this does not really resolve the issue. It only circumvents the problem. I would prefer to solve the problem so that preventative measures can be taken on the machines that aren't yet affected.

Thanks again. Please don't take my response the wrong way. I do appreciate you taking the time to provide a suggestion. 

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hi kurewe,

It looks like you've covered the bases.  The only thing I can suggest is that you run USBDeview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html - which will give you give you extended information about all the USB devices that are or have been connected to the system.  You can also uninstall any device so that the next time it is plugged in it is seen as a new device.  Might help.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Have you checked the event logs to help identify a clue. are there any conflicts.

Check the amps on the ports in question

#6 kurewe

kurewe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

dls62: I'll grab that utility and see what it tells me. I tried plugging in a USB DVD drive that had never been connected to one of the computers and although it see that something has been connected and it partially recognizes it, the system won't fully initialize it due to the supposed power issue.

Roodo: I've looked at the event logs and I did not see anything that would lead me to believe there were any conflicts nor did I see any specific events produced by connecting or disconnecting USB devices.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Could be a Windows drivers or update installed for XP. Might wanna try on several Windows 7 systems for a more updates OS. There are different brands of USB to VGA adapter so you would not know which matches every hardware setups.

Tekken

#8 kurewe

kurewe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

jhayz... I'm fairly sure that it may have been a Windows Update that started the problem. I have not been able to narrow it down to a specific one though. I thought I had a good chance when I received a notebook that started exhibiting the same problem after some Windows updates were performed. However, after uninstalling each one, one at a time, the problem remains. At some point, we will be migrating to Windows 7. And, yes, I could resolve the issue by switching to Windows 7 or even re-installing XP. But, I need to be able to keep this from happening on the other 4000 computers that we have. I don't believe the issue is with the VGA adapter because, when the issue starts, it not only affects the VGA adapter, it affects any other USB device that requires power. Even if I disconnect all USB devices and just plug in a USB flash drive, it won't power the drive. I also don't intend to circumvent the issue by trying to use powered hubs.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Microsoft issued a security update for the kernel that included USB drivers but the issues were mostly related to Windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862330

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-081

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40474

#10 kurewe

kurewe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for that info! I checked one of the machines and that update was installed. I uninstalled it just in case, and unfortunately the problem still persists. I am going to probe further into any and all updates that were performed from October thru December and see if maybe a different one is the culprit.

Thanks again!

#11 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Louis,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. However, I have read that KB article. As I indicated in my original post, this isn't an issue with having too many devices connected via USB. I am hesitant to add a powered hub to each of these machine, as this does not really resolve the issue. It only circumvents the problem. I would prefer to solve the problem so that preventative measures can be taken on the machines that aren't yet affected.

Thanks again. Please don't take my response the wrong way. I do appreciate you taking the time to provide a suggestion. 

A USB 2.0 port only supplies 500 mAh of power to a port. Your problem isn't an issue with how many devices are connected to the port, but power consumption. And, if you are reluctant to add a powered hub to resolve your power issue, it's simply because you don't have a clear understanding of the root cause of the error message. Your insistence on seeing this as a software issue is a clear indication that you really don't have a clue. "Oh, I've seen this with XP, etc" is just another testament to your basic incompetency.

And Merry Christmas.

Edited by slgrieb, 24 December 2013 - 10:04 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#12 kurewe

kurewe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

A USB 2.0 port only supplies 500 mAh of power to a port. Your problem isn't an issue with how many devices are connected to the port, but power consumption. And, if you are reluctant to add a powered hub to resolve your power issue, it's simply because you don't have a clear understanding of the root cause of the error message. Your insistence on seeing this as a software issue is a clear indication that you really don't have a clue. "Oh, I've seen this with XP, etc" is just another testament to your basic incompetency.

And Merry Christmas.

Slgrieb... I find your response kind of funny. I don't think you really read much of what i've written in this thread except the parts that you apparently took an irrational offense to. I can't think of any other reason that you would feel the need to reply to my request for suggestions with insults as opposed to any valid suggestions. I'm not going to debate my qualifications and experience with you. However, just the fact that you would rather add a powered USB hub to the equation to keep from having to solve the root cause tells me all I need to know about yours.

Merry Christmas indeed.

Edited by kurewe, 24 December 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#13 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

The only other suggestion I have, if you have not already tried it, is to disable the selective suspend feature for the usb ports:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor opens.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
  3. If the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is present, double-click it. If it is not present, create the entry. To create the entry, follow these steps:
    1. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
    2. Type DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then press ENTER.
    3. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
  4. In the Value data field, type 1 to disable the Selective Suspend feature, and then click OK

#14 AaronMcAllister

AaronMcAllister

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hi Kurewe,

Unfortunately I don't have a suggested fix; however I did want to validate your concern. We're seeing this recently (since October/November) on various Windows XP systems at the office. Multiple users are receiving the "USB Hub Power Exceeded" error message when connecting devices they have always previously connected to the same systems without prior issue (mostly smartphones). We also have been unable to identify root cause. Please let us know if you've been successful in identifying root cause/solution.

Thanks,
Aaron

#15 lti

lti

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

The updated USB drivers might not get uninstalled with the update. Did anyone try rolling back to an older driver in Device Manager?

It looks like there is a bug in the updated USB driver that only affects Windows XP. Using too much power isn't the problem if the only thing plugged into the USB ports is a flash drive or the problem only started recently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users