Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conduit keeps coming back?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dugdugdug

dugdugdug

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Several months ago I had conduit take over my browsers and install toolbars, etc. I worked through removal instructions I found online and succeeded in removing the toolbar and search hijack, and thought it was gone forever but it keeps coming back. The only symptom now is that Explorer will start using around 25% of the CPU activity, which keeps my cooling fan running, and will not allow the computer to hibernate. It also may be interfering with Flash on Facebook and some other websites, but I'm not sure about that.

The only way I know that this is Conduit is that when I notice the activity starting up I run MalwareBytes and it finds a Conduit file, even though I have repeatedly cleaned using that program.

In your forums I found someone talking about ImgBurn installing Conduit, and I did have the program, so I have uninstalled it. Also I have Secunia PSI, so it was regularly updating ImgBurn without my being able to deselect any Conduit option, so that may have been the source of the problem, but I have uninstalled ImgBurn and cleaned with MalwareBytes and Explorer is still running the CPU at about 25%.

Help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dugdugdug

dugdugdug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

As a quick follow-up, I have just run ADWCleaner and it found a bunch of stuff related to Conduit, all of which I had it clean. And now Explorer is no longer running at 25% CPU in the Task Manager. So maybe it's gone, but I've thought it was gone before.

Edited by dugdugdug, 20 December 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hi dugdugdug,

As a quick follow-up, I have just run ADWCleaner and it found a bunch of stuff related to Conduit, all of which I had it clean. And now Explorer is no longer running at 25% CPU in the Task Manager. So maybe it's gone, but I've thought it was gone before.

Yes, sometimes programs do not find and remove everything. It was probably running on startup or something similar, although without seeing the various logs I cannot be sure what was missed.

Do you need anymore help?

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 dugdugdug

dugdugdug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hi dugdugdug,

Yes, sometimes programs do not find and remove everything. It was probably running on startup or something similar, although without seeing the various logs I cannot be sure what was missed.

Do you need anymore help?

xXToffeeXx~

I'm not sure, but maybe if you could leave this thread open I will watch over the next few days and see if it comes back. If it does I could post again. Thanks!

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hi dugdugdug,

No worries, these threads do not get closed anyway. Feel free to add a post to here in a few days reporting whether it comes back or not.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users