Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Questions: 1 about YouTube and 1 about installing a new web browser

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

1) YouTube alerted me that they will stop supporting Safari. I use Safari. Will this mean that I will no longer be able to download videos off YouTube using Safari as my web browser? I'm able to download fine right now. No changes. I'm just wondering about the future. BTW, I use ytgrab to download my videos.

2) Is there any harm installing a web browser/program on a university's campus, or in any public area for that matter? I'm asking this because I was told by my ResNet that the firewall on my computer is off, and can't be turned on for some reason (they THINK it's because of my anti-virus software. I use Webroot SecureAnywhere BTW). If I download Firefox from the official website, is there any dangers when installing it through my universitiy's internet connection while I have my firefall turned off? As long as I download the software from the official page, there shouldn't be any programs, right? I keep thinking this will screw my laptop up in some way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

There have been several Youtube discussions on the Apple forums. According to this, you have to adjust settings in Safari.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23716530#23716530

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Looking at their web-site, all versions of Webroot include a firewall. For your peace of mind check on your Webroot control panel that it is turned on. You don't have to use the windows firewall, but you do need a firewall, and so long as the Webroot one is turned on you are good to go. It does sometimes happen that Windows doesn't notice the existence of third party firewalls and gives you messages that the Windows firewall isn't turned on.

I would be very surprised if there were any problems downloading software through your university's connection, and if you want Firefox then mozilla .com is the place to go for it.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users