Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extra drive shown in Optimize Drives

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 dominus

dominus

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Today I went to defrag my laptop computer because it had frozen up for several minutes and found that in addition to the main drive, the recover drive and the system drive there was a fourth drive I didn't recognize.

It has the name \\?\Volume{b1e2ed35-909b-4ce3-8f3c-ec23037f3c1e}\

The optimize window says that it is 36% fragmented and need optimization.

Clicking on it does nothing. Analyzing it and Optimizing it does nothing.

It doesn't show up anywhere else as far as I know.

Is this a virtual drive, a virus, a partition something set up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Look in Disk Management to see what is listed for this drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dominus

dominus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

I only see my normal drive and its partitions in disk management. All read as healthy. Also checked in cmd and disk is not dirty.

This is windows 8 by the way.

#4 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

I have the same deal, except Winretools is also listed.  The Dell tech told me that since I had it scheduled for maintenance, it would clear that up.  It did not.  I only saw this in 8.1, not in 8.  So I can't help you there.  On my computer, it won't let you defrag those additional drives either.  So I look forward to hearing what people have to say about your problem.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Let me guess, 8.1 is on this machine. For some reason unknown, Microsoft added an extra partition with 8.1. There is no way of getting rid of it either.

#6 dominus

dominus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

But what is it for? Is it just to waste space?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

What is the size of the extra partition?

Where did you see this partition?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 freakassoid

freakassoid

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

hello

i have the samething after the upgrade from Win 8 to 8.1 on my HP pc but i messed up my pc later trying to fix something

and had to restore my computer back to factory settings from the HP restore partition and that took me back to Win 8 that

came on the pc then i did the upgrade to Win 8.1 again and now i have 2 of those \\?\Volume 350mb partitions and the windows

defrag will not defrag them also

i can see the name \\?\Volume for the 2 partitions in the Windows defrag program but not in computer management

i read on the Windows 8 forum that the 350mb partitions are the updated Windows 8.1 RE tool partition but do not understand why

i need 2 of them after i restored my pc

thay are small and not making trouble and some say to leave them alone and not to worry about defraging them

but in computer management it also shows i have 2 recovery (D:) partitions and in the Windows defrag program it shows i have only

1 recovery D: partition but when i use something like mini tools partition software it shows just 1 recovery D: partition lol

i doin't think i want to mess with them and make things more messed up but i wonder why Windows did it like this thay must not

beta test very good lol

:)

James

Attached Files

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

[quote name="dc3" post="3239225" timestamp="1387649675"]Speccy is not going to do anything for the OP, nor does it even apply in this case.

That extra partition got added as stated, due to the 8.1 update. Even if the OP did not go to the store, but the update for allowing 8.1 to be downloaded from the store was allowed to run, that partition gets created during that process.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Speccy will not do anything for freakassoid or their computer.  But it will provide me with information which I want. :thumbup2:

If you find any information which substantiates that this is the result of the 8.1 upgrade I would very much like to have a link so I can read it for myself.  So far my search for such information hasn't turned up anything.

#11 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

The extra drive showed up on my computer AFTER I updated to Win8.1 from the store.  I was previously running Win8.  I commented so people would not know the poster had an isolated issue.  You cannot optimize these drives, even though they are all set to. 

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Speccy will not do anything for freakassoid or their computer.  But it will provide me with information which I want. :thumbup2:

If you find any information which substantiates that this is the result of the 8.1 upgrade I would very much like to have a link so I can read it for myself.  So far my search for such information hasn't turned up anything.

There is nothing that anyone needs to know. This partition is on any machine that is running 8.1.

#13 freakassoid

freakassoid

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

@dc3 you asked for this info

What is the size of the extra partition? 350mb

Where did you see this partition? Windows defrag program,computer management,mini tools partition software

these 2 partition where not on my pc before i upgraded to Windows 8.1 i know for sure i'm not a novice

it was not there when my pc was new in April of this year and before i installed Windows 8.1 i reinstalled back to factory

settings from the HP restore partition so i would not have trouble upgrading got all my updates from microsoft updates ran

check disk sfc/scannow defraged with Windows defrag then installed Win 8.1

and the second one came after i restored my pc back to factory settings from the HP restore partition it was back to Win 8

then i upgraded to Win 8.1 and i got the second one

you also asked for spaccy info

why do you need speccy info for this?? it has my External IP Address wich you do not need??

if you need info from speccy just ask for that info your looking for?

i have found others at Microsofts forums,Windows 8 forums that have the same partitions and wonder what thay are so i thought

i would post what i have found and has happend to my pc in the hopes someone could shed some light on what has happend with these

partitions and why i got 2 after i restored and reinstalled Win8.1

thanks

James

#14 freakassoid

freakassoid

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:47 AM

ok dc3

i see now that my ip addy will not be shown in the speccy log sorry for thinking it would i'v not used this part of speccy before so sorry again

if you think you can help here is the log you asked for i was just trying to be safe i hope you can understand that :)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/d63uJa8xCjaZnHIm36BkYF2

when i use Piriform Defraggler in it's options if i put a check in show unmounted drives i can see them 2 partitions and when i analyze the partitions

and then view the files in them the first one has a file named Winre.wim in it and the second one has 2 files in it named Winre.wim and SYMEFA.DB

it looks like i could use Defraggler to defrag them but i'm not sure if it's safe to do so

thanks

:)

James

Attached Files

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thank you Freakassoid, the Thumbnails shows the information I was hoping I would find.  Speccy shows the partition, but not the file name. :thumbup2:

Winre.wim is the Windows Recovery Environment.  You need to show hidden and system files to see it as it's marked System and Hidden.

recovery_zps03aa8a1d.png

This is not specific to Windows 8 or 8.1, this is in Windows 7 as well.

I would leave it as it is, don't defrag it.

Edited by dc3, 22 December 2013 - 10:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users