Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Never seen this b4: Intel HD driver causes BSOD??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cognus

Cognus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

experts - I've done a lot of tech work but have not seen this odd problem before. So far, it is humbling me.  This is a 'new to me' HP Pavilion P7-1750T, fairly pedestrian i3-based system, H61 Chipset, no frills.  Seagate 160gb 7200 drive, two sticks of DDR3, Windows 7 Pro new/fresh install "in progress".

I get every other driver loaded on the system save 1 - the Intel HD video/graphics display driver [so, it is using default standard/generic vga driver] and its fine... running happily.  When I load the Intel-provided or Windows Update provided Intel HD driver, on the next boot [restart after driver 'install'] it will BSOD with the typical IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a 00000000`000000d2 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000000 fffff800`03101474 ntoskrnl.exe 

If I then restart, go to safe mode, system will boot 'normally'.  Uninstall the device, restart, all is well except for the lousy video :)

I've checked and rechecked other devices - all the drivers are good, off the HP site, and really there is nothing much in the system: realtek audio, realtek gigabit NIC, H61 chipset drivers all loaded good, Intel Storage controller drivers good, the bios is up to date.  I disabled PCI SERR#, and enabled it, and disabled/enabled palette snooping - none of that makes a diff.

I ran Memtest v5.01 for only a couple of hours and no errors. I intend to run it all day long, but I'm just stumped.

what would you suggest?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The How To Man

The How To Man

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hey Cognus how you doing?

Do you only have the onboard graphic or you also installed a video card? Did you go to the event viewer to see if any other apps is crashing?

You could uninstall that driver and use a previous version to see if it will work.

Did you just did a clean windows install?

Brian
TheHowToMan.com

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Cognus

Cognus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

sorry to be so slow my friends.

I still don't know how to explain this, but I got 'er done and everything appears to be stable now.

I was all set to blame memory but that now appears to not be the case.

I had already pulled one driver download from Intel's download site by searching ON their site, by chipset; it caused BSOD.  The driver set on HP's site [there was only one listed/visible on the html site, for onboard vid] was one of the ones that failed also: BSOD.  Somewhere over the weekend I kept running google searches using differing terms, and found a different driver wad on Intel site that had the right HD generation, but the language was showing, instead of chipset, the processor compatibility and did not list any of the i3's for some reason: just i5/i7 but I figured I couldn't get any more 'broke' so I tried it.  Unpacked everything but did the install via Device Manager and it worked.

why?  I dunno.  it always bothers me when I don't know the why.

I note that Windows upate, which had "failed to install" the Intel HD driver previously, was still bringing up a driver, in the "important updates" column but I'm not brave so I hid it for the future.

so everything looks as it should now:  SATA is in AHCI mode, memory appears good after all [I only tested for 3 hours though] and no apparent hardware glitches.

I appreciate the assist.  Merry Christmas y'all

Edited by Cognus, 23 December 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Happy computing. :santa:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users