Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and can't operate in safe mode -"unmountable boot volume"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

HELP!  My desktop with XP PRO on it, which is not connected ever to the internet and which I use for office files etc, has suddenly displayed the BSOD, no matter what I do.

Chosing Safe Mode, results in a display of files, then the BSOD returns.

Chosing "Last good configuration" does nothing....BSOD returns.

Basically, the computer will not boot.

The message comes up:  "Unmountable_Boot_Volume".

The message also reads:

Stop: 0\000000ED

(0x81F45E30)
            0xC0000006

0x000 000 00

0x 000 000 000

I tried to run various security disks and programs and the operating system "Utility disk" but nothing will run because Windows does not continue beyond the BSOD.

I've never had any problem with this desktop computer previously. 

The only thing I can think of which I installed recently was a Canon Printer, Scanner, Fax installation disk.

I put that installation disk in the cd drive, but it, also, will not run.

I hope someone out there can assist with this vexing problem, as I have run out of ideas.

Oh, one more thing: No I cannot find a boot disk and No, I do not have an XP Pro installation disk.

44GUY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

How to make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
    * Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    * You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
    * You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
    * Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
    * The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter.  Please observe that there is a space between chkdsk and the forward slash r (/r).

Chkdsk has five stages which will display the percentage of each stage as it runs.  This can take a very long time to run, it may even appear to have stalled.  Please do not stop this process as it can cause severe damage to the operating system.

Edited by dc3, 20 December 2013 - 11:19 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

How to make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
    * Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    * You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
    * You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
    * Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
    * The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter.  Please observe that there is a space between chkdsk and the forward slash r (/r).

Chkdsk has five stages which will display the percentage of each stage as it runs.  This can take a very long time to run, it may even appear to have stalled.  Please do not stop this process as it can cause severe damage to the operating system.

Hi: I thank you for this. I downloaded the exe file to a cd.  I then downloaded the  ARCD, on a separate cd.  Now, I only have certain files on there, none of which appear to be executable.  Should I have put both of these on one cd?  The ARCD doesn't appear to run.  I guess I a  stupid, but could you

A B C this for me?   I can't see how this will boot.   44guy.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

The ARCD is the exe file.  There is only one file.  Follow the instructions without any exceptions or additions.

You will get the message which give you the option to burn the image or quit.  If you choose to burn it, and you should, another window will open with the option to Start.  When you click on this the DVD/CD drive tray will open, place the CD in it and close the door, the image will be burned to the disk.  At this point you should have a disc to boot from and continue with the instructions to do the chkdsk /r. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

The ARCD is the exe file.  There is only one file.  Follow the instructions without any exceptions or additions.

You will get the message which give you the option to burn the image or quit.  If you choose to burn it, and you should, another window will open with the option to Start.  When you click on this the DVD/CD drive tray will open, place the CD in it and close the door, the image will be burned to the disk.  At this point you should have a disc to boot from and continue with the instructions to do the chkdsk /r. 

Responding:  I copied two files on separate disks.  A file ending in .exe and then the ARCD file, which turns out to be a directory of several files, none of which end in exe.   So, you are directing me to put the disk with the .exe file into the computer and it should boot?  Okay, I will try this when I return to the office on Monday.   Question:  What was the purpose of copying the non executable ARCD directory?  Am I missing something here?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

There is only the ARCD.exe file.  You are trying to make more out of this than there is.  Just follow the instructions to create the disc, and then the instruction for running chkdsk /r. :thumbup2:

#7 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

There is only the ARCD.exe file.  You are trying to make more out of this than there is.  Just follow the instructions to create the disc, and then the instruction for running chkdsk /r. :thumbup2:

Okay, perhaps, but I was given the option of downloading a zip file (which I didn't) or an ARCD.exe file, which I did.

I then got to a  screen to download the ARCD file. I thought this was a third file.

Now that I have that straight, I note in your instructions to go into the bios to change the boot sequence, which I understand, however I have been unable to get into the bios.  This is an Asus Laptop and it says use Alt-F2 when booting up but that does not bring me to bios. I have tried various other keys such as F11, F8 and F12, but none of them work. I tried to install the utility disk from Asuz, but it doesn't install, as windows doesn't install.

I am being hampered by not having the WindowsXP Pro disk, obviously, which woud eliminate probablly all of these problems .  

By the way, I did put the ARCD,.exe file, on CD, into the CD drive while the computer booted up, but it wouldn't do anything. Presumably because the A drive is first in boot sequence....I took the A floppy disk out, figuring it would go to the #2 boot option, which is the cd drive, but obviously it did not boot from there.

Any other ideas how I can get into the bios?  Maybe I should go on the Asus web site with my other computer and ask the question. I will.

Thanks for all your help. I know this is a pain in the neck for you  --it's an even worse pain for me!  Let's have a cheer, once again, for Microsoft.

My next computer is an Apple for sure.

44 Guy 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

The F key should be F2.  Start tapping this immediately after pressing the power button.

#9 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

The F key should be F2.  Start tapping this immediately after pressing the power button.

lOkay, Thank you for your patience. I'll go over all this and try it tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Sorry to sound so dumb....I'm really not!

44 Guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users