Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 Admin password has expired ? - plse advise

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 joec122

joec122

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

recently lost admin user status and profile on Win 8 . Have no "password reset disk"  Tried MS @ DELL for help - not impressed!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

How did you lose your user status and profile?

Have you tried to create a new administrator account?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 joec122

joec122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

Due to a severe attack of gout,I had my pc in hibernation for some 5 days .On next using it I was informed that my admin password had expired & invited to enter my password which was repeatedly rejected .On "google" searches ,I then tried various means to restore the previous status Quo,but every attempt failed due to having " no Admin authorisation" . Both MS & the "Dell" pc supplier

have offered no working solution - The Os is Win 8.1 preinstalled on a Dell Inspiron 660 Hoping this info helps

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

I think I may have a way to help you with this, but there is a forum rule which state  "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures."  Because of this I will have to ask a moderator if there is a way we can assist you.  I will do this and get back to you.

​I recently had gout in my right wrist, one of the hardest places for me to get it cleared from.  I commiserate with you. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 joec122

joec122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

Thank You

I will await  your advice with hope, and I appreciate your commiserations ref my gout .

#6 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Not sure why you have to do anything with copyright.  Have you tried a simple Refresh? 

I have done it 3 times due to problems created by myself. (my preinstalled Norton Anti-virus allowed a bad one that I couldn't fix so that was the first one. Then Norton was removed each time because it reinstalls itself with the Refresh!)

Don't confuse the Refresh option with a Reset, or Restore. Reset takes everything out. Refresh reloads Windows 8 back in like it was when you bought the puter. But Refresh doesn't affect your own files, but will remove programs you have installed, so you have to reinstall them all.

The refresh takes quite a while so don't get impatient. Then you have to get all the updates all over again, before you can install 8.1.

But if you already had Windows 8.1 it should be pretty easy.

It's not as bad or hard as it sounds. Just time consuming. Refresh will allow you to set your password and profile all over again. I didn't use their one for all 'Microsoft account' suggestion and just used a regular email to do it.

I have Refreshed 3 times and got my admin password back each time.

Hope you can solve it.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

1)  Not sure why you have to do anything with copyright. 

2)  Have you tried a simple Refresh? 

1)  The infringement would be providing a means of getting around the password protection to access the computer.

2)  To do a Refresh you would have to be able to navigate to Search to begin the process.  So far they have not been able to boot into Windows because of the lack of a password. 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

joec122,

Is the following the error message you are receiving?

Windows 8 log in error: You password has expired and must be changed

Does another box like the one below open?

asnip_zps55945e20.png

Edited by dc3, 20 December 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#9 joec122

joec122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

The box illustrated did open several days ago, when I first encounered this problem, since which I have been restricted to "guest" status .Every attempt I make to overcome the problem is blocked by my new "guest" status

IE: I run around in circles

joec122

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

What happens if you click on OK when that box opens?

#11 joec122

joec122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

I am asked to enter my Admin Password - ( which the PC has cancelled!)

#12 ronakraj

ronakraj

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

use your windows formatting media and after inserting from the option menu of formatting media select system restore and restore your pc to previous date at which your password was not expired. 

Edited by ronakraj, 26 December 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

It's a little more complicated than that, but not a bad idea to try.  With a disc you should be able to set up the computer to open to the Command Prompt upon restart.  But first you will need a Windows 8 disc, you can do that with the information below.

Go to Windows Eight Forums and scroll down to step 4.  There you will have the option to download Windows 8 32-bit (x86) or the 64-bit.

Once you have the ISO image downloaded you will need to burn it to a DVD.

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Once you have the disc created you will need to boot from it.  You may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, the hdd second.  The BIOS is not a part of the operating system, so there shouldn't be a problem unless you have assigned a password for the BIOS.

When you boot from the disc press Shift + F10 when you are at the Install Windows screen.  When you restart the computer it should load to the Command Prompt.

In the Command Prompt type rstrui.exe and press Enter.  This should initiate the System Restore.

With a little luck you will now be able to follow the prompts to select a restore point prior to the password being disabled.

#14 joec122

joec122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

I reluctantly did a reinstall of Win 8 ,following several hours of "DELL" remote assistance,which failed to resolve my "locked out" status .

Naturally I lost all my contents !

Sincere Thanks to all who tried to help me - It really is appreciated .

PS - Happy New Year to All

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

I found information regarding the expired administrative password at Windows Seven Forums (password expiration is in both Windows 7 and Windows 8) which makes me question what could have kept you from changing the password.   

First of all, the information I found explains that the password expiration feature is disabled as a default, so you would have had to enable it for this to have happened.  The default time period for this expiration is 42 days, you posted that this occurred after 5 days.  

Secondly, when the password expires and you try to boot into Windows a window will open with the message "Your password has expired and must be changed" with the options of OK or Cancel, I posted a picture of this in post #8.  If you choose OK another window opens where you enter your old password in the first box, then enter your new password in the second box, and then confirm your new password in the third box, then click on the arrow to the right of the third box to enter the new password.  The picture below is that set of boxes.

passwordchange_zps39582759.png

Another window will open with the message "Your password has been changed", you then click on OK to confirm this.

I not implying anything, I wasn't present when you attempted to enter your password or try to change it, so I honestly can't say what transpired.     

Edited by dc3, 27 December 2013 - 11:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users