Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To trash or not to trash!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have a fairly recent drive that has become infected, I am leery of using it again as I am not sure about cleaning/formatting it without passing on the infection.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The How To Man

The How To Man

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hey Phil how you doing today? I use to get bombarded with viruses on the same hdd I've been using for the past 7yrs.

All you have to do is format your drive and erase all data completely. There's software that let you purge your hdd, but I feel just formatting yiur drive should suffice.

If you need any step by step guide let me know.

Brian
TheHowToMan.com

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Use Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) will securely wipe the drive and should get rid of anything that was one there.  Running DBAN makes data recovery very difficult, if not impossible, so make sure that you have anything important backed up before running DBAN.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

You can do what has been suggested, but you will lose all of your data in the process.  If you try to backup your data you will be running the risk of reinfecting the system when you load it to your fresh installation.  If you want to address the infection and take care of it properly  I would suggest starting a topic in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum.  This forum is where advanced members and staff can provide initial assistance with malware removal. If your issues cannot be resolved there, then you will receive further instructions as to what you need to do.

The Am I Infected forum is a sub-forum in the Security forums.  These forums are constantly in demand because of the success rate it has in cleaning infected operating systems.  The members of the Malware Removal Team have all gone through specialized training to earn this title and are some of the best out there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the obvious correct replies, head was screwed on backwards this AM!!! 

I looked in my stash of goodies and found a brand new drive, a bit larger I had bought for a never gotten to project.  I just slapped it in along with a new WIFI card to eliminate some wires (other half hates wires) plus can move the printer to a better location.

Phil

Arachibutyrophobia I was posting when you posted and missed yours, this is my backup Dell that only gets used when needed.  The last year or so I have been getting my mail direct off the server, a few days ago I decided to down load it to Outlook on the backup there was some photos that the server would not show.  You guessed it got nailed, there is really nothing on the machine that I want.  I fooled with all the normal tools got no where, took the easy way out!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 20 December 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

p

I have a fairly recent drive that has become infected, I am leery of using it again as I am not sure about cleaning/formatting it without passing on the infection.

Phil

I've been reading about this topic recently and there's an interesting discussion in another thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515165/factory-state-format-reliability/

I have learned that DBAN and some other HDD-wipe tools won't access or remove/clean hidden areas of some HDD's. That is stated in DBAN's FAQ section about their tool.

Some HDD's have HPA and DCO hidden areas which require specific tools, such as "HDDerase" to unhide and then remove any data in those areas.

HPA is "Host Protected Area"

CDO is "Drive Configuration Overlay"

I have removed my HDD a couple of times during the past 2-3 years due to an infection and have removed the usual visible partitions and re-cloned back to the original HDD and it's worked good.

However, after reading some posts elsewhere on the 'net about users that have had their HDD's infected, and ran DBAN or some of the other HDD-wipe tools, re-installed their OS, and still had malicious objects present on the HDD, I'll probably try wiping my HDD with "HDDerase" the next time I need to remove an infected HDD from service.

From what I've been reading about the subject, the majority of malicious objects don't reside in the HPA or DCO areas of hard drives so in most cases, deleting the visible partitions, then cloning back to it from a known tested HDD and returning the HDD into service would seem to be a working solution to the issue.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

I did a little more fooling around and found the drive was not infected after all, it turned out to be SCVHOST was running 90+%.  I turned off auto update and all is back to normal.  Not sure what I will do being support for XP ends in April, probably like many others just wing it.  Two of my three of my lap tops run Win7, not sure how an old Dell Dimension 3000 would handle Win7 that may be my next venture.

Phil

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Microsoft has a compatibility test to see if your laptop is up to running Windows 7.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users