Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Cpu Utilization

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ryanch23

ryanch23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

Hello, new to the forum. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook and recently my CPU utilization has been very high all the time. I'm looking at it now and it is at 92% and all I have open is internet explorer. The other day I had all applications closed and it was at 100% and stayed there for hours till I finally restarted my computer. Anybody have any ideas why this could be or any ideas how to fix this? Any input would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Ctrl + alt + del will bring up the Task Manger. Click on the Processes tab. Tell us what processes show high numbers under the CPU heading.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

Is this acutally slowing it down? Because sometimes windows gets stupid and will count the idle process against that. That would make sense too.. Nothing open = 100% idle Internet explorer open = 92% idle.

Try rebooting your computer. Maybe that will fix it, but if it's not slowing down your computer at all it's probably just thinking wierd I guess you could say.
-TJB

#4 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

I've had the CPU load up to 100% when I run graphic intensive screen savers or when I have my screen saver set to circulate photos from picture files. The minute I stop that screen saver and go back to the default Windows screen saver all is right again.

Also, I've had my CPU load up when I've got a spyware or virus problem. Is your computer clean? For what it's worth, hope this helps. Good luck.

#5 ryanch23

ryanch23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:38 AM

Thanks guys. Like right now my computer is running at 100% CPU utilization. Explorer.exe is at 99. Sometimes it slows the computer down and webpages freeze alot when this happens. I thought i might have spyware or a virus or something as well. Am working on finding out and fixing it if that is the case. I have rebooted a bunch of times. Probably 5 times a day due to webpage feezing. I do not have ascreen saver set up or anything. Every once in a ehile my screensaver (default) would come on and would get stuck on it and i would have to reboot so I set the screensaver to come on after some absurd amount of hours which never happens.

#6 WereBo

WereBo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:30 AM

Allo Ryanch and welcome to BC :thumbsup: ...

Have you cleared the IE cache recently??? From the Start Menu - Settings - Control Panel - Internet Options, in the centre of the dialogue box is an area marked 'Temporary Internet Files.

Click the button marked delete files, when the next little box appears, tick the 'Delete all offline content' box then OK...

Try running 'EasyCleaner' from ToniArts (available Here), and use the 'Registry' and 'Unneccessary' buttons. This little utility is a wonder for finding and removing junk from a PC which often REALLY drags the performance down....

Post back and let us know how you get on :flowers:

Posted Image

Humus hic parumper venatus of militis

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:55 AM

I've had the CPU load up to 100% when I run graphic intensive screen savers or when I have my screen saver set to circulate photos from picture files. The minute I stop that screen saver and go back to the default Windows screen saver all is right again.

Depending on what screen saver you are using, this might be a clue. Many free screen savers that are available on the internet are bundled with malware.

Is this possible in your case? Did you download screensaver software?

If so then I will give you instructions regarding removal of your infection.

Still it is shooting in the dark unless you can give us more specific info, the info I asked for in post #2. We need the names of the processes that are running high. Are there any others besides explorer?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 ryanch23

ryanch23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

No, I havent downloaded any screensavers. So I don't think that's what is going on. I tried using easy cleaner. I installed it and it installed it fine but when i try to open it nothing happens.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

Well, your computer seems to be acting like it is infected.

I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. If you follow the instuctions in the Preparation Guide faithfully then your computer may be cleaned. However, rarely is a computer infected with only one thing.

If after completing all of the steps in the Preparation Guide you continue to have issues, post a HJT log as instructed in the Preparation Guide.

PREPARATION GUIDE

Let us know what is found, if anything.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 07 May 2006 - 10:29 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:59 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to go through the "Preparation Guide"!! I recently had a problem on my computer, so I went through it. It's an amazing compilation of intense cleaning and quite a knowledge builder, too. Highly recommended.

Also, I reread your posts and I have one more question for you. Have you recently downloaded any antispyware software definitions updates or accepted any upgrade offers from same? I did this a while back from Trend Micro only to become infected with a nasty browser hijacker. There are some bad guys out there taking advantage of us downloading updates/upgrades from Trend and others. They piggyback their infections to our download and the rest is sordid history. In my case it was "About:Blank". When you mentioned that explorer.exe was running high, that's what made me think. Have you experienced any browser hijacker symptoms? Sure hope this isn't what's ailing your computer. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users