Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help PLEASE!! Windows 8.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jhop23

jhop23

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

First off I have an Amd A8 5600k CPU, 8 gb ram, asus mobo, 6670 dual graphics. I have 32 bit installed on system and noticed computer was only using 2.2 gigs of available 8 gigs. Almost 6 gigs are in hardware reserve whatever that means. My question is: Is this because i have 32 bit os installed? if so how can i upgrade to 64 bit without losing all my games/files? Please help thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

In order to utilize all 8 GB of RAM, you'll need to install a 64-bit Operating System . . . which unfortunately will require a fresh install.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Upgrading from Windows 8 32-bit to 64-bit can be done, but it isn't simple.  There is a good article on the subject at Tom's Hardware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

First off I have an Amd A8 5600k CPU, 8 gb ram, asus mobo, 6670 dual graphics. I have 32 bit installed on system and noticed computer was only using 2.2 gigs of available 8 gigs. Almost 6 gigs are in hardware reserve whatever that means. My question is: Is this because i have 32 bit os installed? if so how can i upgrade to 64 bit without losing all my games/files? Please help thank you

Does your system actually "see" the 8GB of RAM?  I ask that because a 32-bit Windows OS will only see ~3.25GB, no matter how much RAM you have installed.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

My question is: Is this because i have 32 bit os installed? if so how can i upgrade to 64 bit without losing all my games/files?

Yes....this IS because you have  32 bit system installed

I like the approach on this page::

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/switch-windows-7-32-bit-to-windows-7-64-bit/ac6d3f4e-376f-4827-90a2-e499e37946b2

BUT....be sure to read the excellent article...Tom's Hardware.             link provided by DC3

So yes you can do it......but you will have to download the 64 bit system on a 64 bit PC  (find a friend!).......and you will have to make a backup on an external drive. .......Read read read.......between the two links....the answers are all there.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

I should have posted this information in my last post.

A 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not be able to utilize the total amount because the address space is only 4GB in size.  The draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, PCI, PCI-E, other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well.  Because of this a 32-bit operating system will typically only recognize between 3GB and 3.5GB of RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users