Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on build parts!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hey everyone this is my first build and i cant decide between a few parts. For my motherboard i cant decide between the asus m5a97 r2 and the gigabyte 970a ud3p. The gigabyte is a newly released mb and there is basically nothing about it on the internet, but it does have a better power phase than the asus, and it just a newer board. It is about 5-10$ more expensive than the asus though. The other dilemma is my graphics card. I have decided on the r9 270. And cannot choose between MSI or asus. I heard great things about both and they are the exact same price. These will be with an amd fx 8320 cpu and windows 8.1.

Thank you all

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

I would suggest going with the Gigabyte Motherboard and the ASUS video card. I have never had any issues with either modern ASUS or Gigabyte brand motherboards, but Gigabyte have generally been better for options for over clocking etc and CPU support as well as the better power phase as you already know. As far as videocards go, I have had good luck with ASUS, but have seen some complaints with MSI cards. So on no other basis other than hear say, I would suggest ASUS vs MSI for the video card.

As far as the AMD FX 8320 that is a nice 8-core CPU, however just word of warning I would suggest using a heatsink other than the heatsink that comes with the boxed CPU. People have reported issues with the stock heatsink that comes with the CPUs as being not very good at keeping the temp down even when not overclocking as well as issues with the latches on the heatsink requiring excessive force to latch the heatsink to the AM3+ socket etc.

I have been eyeballing the AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz / 4.2Ghz Turbo and have been waiting for the price to come down,( my latest gaming system is using a motherboard that I pretty much got for free buying Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM for $62 as a bundle deal ( Biostar A960D+ ) but in looking at reviews on this CPU as well as others similar to it like your FX 8320 I have picked up on the frequent problems people have reported with the heatsinks. The CPU's though are solid, however they run hot and really require better cooling than the stock heatsink that comes with them. Some people claim to have turned off the Turbo feature to keep the CPU cooler with the stock heatsink that came with them, but that really is not the best solution since you are throttling the full potential of the CPU to keep temp down. Its best to buy a good heatsink that can cool it that has heatpipes and is rated for 125Watt CPU's or go with liquid cooling for these and let the CPU run full bore with the Turbo feature. I am running that AM3+ motherboard right now on just a Athlon II x4 620 2600Mhz quadcore until I find a good deal on an 8-core CPU, of which I really want the FX-8350 which is the maximum that this motherboard supports and benchmarks equivilant to Core i7, although runs hotter than the Intel i7.

Edited by goldfist, 19 December 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

The number of "power phases" has become a marketing point sadly.  Just going by the "more is better" mantra when looking at power regulation is really futile.

There is a lot more than the number of phases to power regulation.  You have to consider the quality of the VRMs, specs of the PWM controller, inductors/chokes, and capacitors.  A mobo manufacturer can throw on a 12+2 phase setup that falls short of another manufacturers 8+2 just because the components are not specced the same.  Easy to throw extra components, cheaper lower specced components, on a board, and advertise those power phases as a positive selling point.  My point, find out what the components are specced for.  Hard to do sometimes but if you look long enough, something usually turns up. I have seen board VRMs that push anywhere from 30 watts/phase to 50+ watts/phase.  As a general rule, Asus doesn't cheap out on power regulation, Gigabyte doesn't on their mid to higher end boards.  Be warned that one of the EARLY versions of the M5A97 had VRM overheat issues with high wattage CPUs.  That is something you would need to look at.

Nothing is free.  Parts cost money.  Chances are a more expensive board has improved features, or up specced components on it. Consider Asus VS Asrock.  There is a reason Asrock boards are cheaper. The main difference is components, components that are often covered up by pretty heatsinks.  Now I love Asrocks for budget builds, but not for full bore gaming rigs with overclocked CPUs.

Videocards- If the cards are reference boards, buy for price/warranty.  For a reference card, Asus=PNY=MSI=EVGA=Gigabyte, the only difference is what color box they come in, and the warranty/customer service, and of course price sometimes.  Non reference cards, do your research.  Sometimes components are upspecced, cooling and clocks are improved, and everyone wins.  Sometimes corners are cut (like some old ATI cards that got cheap analog VRM controllers on non reference cards).

......... I really want the FX-8350 which ........ benchmarks equivilant to Core i7

Dreamin' is free...Blondie.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users