Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help needed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 x-raided

x-raided

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

ok heres my situation...

i have 2 ASUS K53E laptop computers..one i use ...one is broken..

the one i use needs a new DC jack(where i plug in the power plug)...ever since it has gone bad i just been charging the batterys in the broken laptop and switching out the battery as one dies..

my questions are:

1: is this bad for the laptop to turn it off every few hours to change the battery?

also, i noticed that one battery is noticeably heavier than the other...any reason for this?

2: how easy is it to simply take the DC jack out of the broken laptop and install it in the one i use?

ive looked online and prices range anywhere from $75 to $100 to have it repaired at a shop...that is just not an option at this time.. but i would like to know if my laptop is being harmed by turning it on and off to replace the battery...

thnks to anyone who takes time to reply to this...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

The difference in weight could be that the heavier one has more capacity, check the VAH rating.  That jack on the MOBO where the power plugs in is a tough repair and is very prone to getting jammed, yanked and  that breaks a little switch in the jack that allows the P/S to charge the bat and run the  unit too.  If the broken unit will still charge the battery while being off, no trouble their.  Turning the unit on and off to change batteries is your only alternative.

#3 x-raided

x-raided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

that broken jack wont charge at all weather the computer is on or off...im charging the batterys on my second laptop computer which doesnt work.

if you were me (not alot of knowledge with computers) would you attempt to change the DC jack. or just keep turning the laptop on and off to change the battery until i can get the money to have it fixed properly? and is the turning on and off bad for the laptop?

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Its an easy fix. It will depend on your use of a soldering iron and how comfortable

you are with taking apart your computer.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

The disassembly is the tough part and I don't recommend anyone but a qualified tech tackle the job.  I have seen and repaired those connector/swiches and they can be serious at times.  Traces can lift off the board and damage to the board edge itself.  Some repeat offenders get a pigtail lead with the connector  out the back instead.  Save up your money to get a real tech to do the job.

#6 x-raided

x-raided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

yeah, im not very experienced with a soldering iron and no knowledge of the inside of a computer so i suppose i will let a proffessional do the job...but regarding turning it on and off? what is that gonna do

i rememeber reading something awhile back that said repeadetly turning on and off the laptop isnt good and will have a bad effect..is this true?

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Not with any units I've serviced, many were transported and set up multiple times in 8 hours.  Yes, some of the external power supply/charger units have two different voltages, some with different current ratings and even others have both AC and DC voltages provided to an inverter circuit. 

#8 x-raided

x-raided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

if you could just translate in a way that someone with zero knowledge of computers and power supplys could understand id really appreciate it..

thanks for the help guys :bananas:

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

It wont hurt nothing. Better

#10 x-raided

x-raided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

much better...thank you

#11 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

if you could just translate in a way that someone with zero knowledge of computers and power supplys could understand id really appreciate it..

thanks for the help guys :bananas:

Like Roodo says, it's fine to keep swapping the battery. Replacing the broken plug is generally an easy DIY fix, but sometimes you can run into surprises. So, if your current plan is working, I'd call it good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. All the same, just as an FYI, laptop repair isn't usually technically demanding; it just requires patience and attention to detail. Merry Christmas!, BTW.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users