Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Successfully Re-installed Win7 Non-Destructively

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

This news may be old hat to many of you, but it was a pleasant surprise to me, so wanted to share it.

My Win7 64-bit computer was freezing every now and then, for no explainable reason, but I simply put up with it, as various corrective steps failed to help.

Then I noticed that my Internet Explorer v10 was not playing friendly with the online Internet screens for my bank and credit union (appeared to be partially adobe related).  Switching back to IE9 and IE8 did not work; instead they totally goofed up my IE browser to the point it would not connect to anything any more.

Well, after unsuccessfully trying to reinstall IE, I tried to do a Win7 repair using my original install CD.  Apparently that option is not available, unlike earlier Win versions, so I instead chose to reinstall Win7 using the upgrade option versus a clean install.  It took a long time, but lo and behold - it gave me a clean resinstall of Win7, and ALL of my existing software programs were still installed and working.  All I had to do was download and install some Win7 software updates.  Not having to reinstall (and then configure) all of my software, plus not losing recent data files was a real blessing.

Now I no longer have random machine freezes, and I have stuck with IE8 so I can safely access my online financial info from the banks & credit unions. 

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users