Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you get viruses from device drivers installing from a USB (Windows)?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mutantspidermonkeys

Mutantspidermonkeys

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

I am wondering if you get viruses from device drivers installing from a USB (from the automatic installation if an unknown USB device has been plugged in) in Windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Hello Mutantspidermonkeys -
Are you downloading from a "crack / scam" site, or the Genuine makers site ?

Was the USB Flash Drive "cleaned" first ? Do you know how to clean a Flash Drive ?

The rest of the question should be answered by reading the above (I believe).

A clean USB Drive and Genuine downloads present no problems .......

Thank You -

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hello Mutantspidermonkeys -
Are you downloading from a "crack / scam" site, or the Genuine makers site ?

Was the USB Flash Drive "cleaned" first ? Do you know how to clean a Flash Drive ?

The rest of the question should be answered by reading the above (I believe).

A clean USB Drive and Genuine downloads present no problems .......

Thank You -

That means "yes". You can infect your computer from a pen drive. And, unfortunately, it isn't always clear if any given web site is actually "safe" or not even if the site is generally considered legitimate. Lots of sites are compromised. Personally, I use ClevX on my pen drives for a bit of extra security. I think noknojon oversimplifies the issue of secure downloads.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

A flash drive (usb, pen, thumb, jump) infection usually involve malware that modifies/loads an autorun.inf (text-based configuration) file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable) along with a malicious executable. When removable media is inserted (mounted), autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes the malicious file to run silently on your computer. For flash drives and other USB storage, autorun.ini uses the Windows Explorer's right-click context menu so that the standard "Open" or "Explore" command starts the file. Malware modifies the context menu (adds a new default command) and redirects to executing the malicious file if the "Open" command is used or double-clicking on the drive icon. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled. Keep in mind that autorun.inf can also be a legitimate file which other legitimate programs depend on so the presence of that file may not always be an indication of infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

What quietman7 posted is the most common method of malware infection attack. Also keep in mind that a USB flash drive does have a "master boot record and a partition table" so it can be infected with master boot record malware. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive#File_system

Connect a USB flash drive to your PC so it's mounted. Use any of the standalone Master Boot Record (MBR) tools to view the MBR.

Tools to view and backup your MBR. http://www.raymond.cc/blog/5-free-tools-to-backup-and-restore-master-boot-record-mbr/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users