Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 9 Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Re: Vista Home Premium 32 bit. This unit was running very very slow. We tried many remedies and they failed so we made the decision to re-install Before we did that, we made note of certain things and followed acceptable practices prior to re-installing. One of notes was that the unit had IE9 installed. After re-installing, the unit came with IE 6 and efforts to get back to IE9 failed and in fact, the systems says it cannot support IE8. So what one "bright star" did, knowing that my computer, Inspiron 546 came with Vista Business but later upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, was to install Windows Vista Business over the Windows Home Premium. "Star" thought that in so doing that he can then install windows 7 Pro over the Windows Business and have the same O/S on that machine that is on my own Inspirion 546. Still getting the same failures about installing anything above IE6.Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Windows Vista by default comes with Internet Explore 8 if I recall correctly.

Windows 7 comes with Internet Explorer 9 if I am not mistaken.

Where are you getting the installation media from?

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

It's a reinstallation CD that came with the unit. Somewhere along the line IE 8 was upgraded to IE9. I can't even get IE 8 to go in.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Any particular reason you are trying to use Internet 8?

#5 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

The computer is one that my wife and daughter use. Both of them play Gamesville games on it and about 5 or six weeks ago, something happened that slowed one of the games, Carnival Critters, to a crawl and in general, the computer as a whole slowed down. I went thru a multitude of things to try to get it back to par again, but nothing worked so I opted to reinstall the Vista O/S after the usual removals, backups, etc. I do know that the browser was IE9 because I tried to upgrade to IE10, but there came a pop-up saying that the system is  maxed at IE9. Anyhow; After the reinstall, I saw that it came with IE7 and my initial response to that was to get IE9 back again. No matter what I did on any website, including Microsoft, if I clicked into anything that said IE9, it produced a page with IE8. So, I reasoned, that if I could get to IE8 the next step would be IE9, so I proceeded to download IE8 and it went thru all the actions and ended up with  another pop-up that says , in effect, this system does not support IE8. So, I went in pursuit of IE8 with no success, so I wrote to the forum and you, Cryptodan is a respondent.  Next, as I was sitting at the computer wondering what to do next, a pop-up appeared concerning upgrades and that there is 93 of them, so I let it ride. After that I get a page that tells me that my browser is upgraded to IE9, couldn't and still can't figure that out. Next, I went to Gamesville and entered the Carnival Critters game and everything is back to a crawl again. Like full circle. Along t he way, I was directed to the Task Manager to watch the memory performance and saw that it went from 0 to the 400s, of course, I don't know what that means, but the zero is giving me the impression that I may need to install another 1GB of memory and along with what the unit came with (1GB) it might solve the "slow" problem. Any input please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users