Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i Phone 5 e-mailed jpeg file "loops" WIN 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clarke123

Clarke123

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

Whenever I attach JPEG files to an e-mail sent from my i phone 5 to my WIN 8 System, while I can view them within my AT&T webmail, when I subsequently download and attempt to open them in WIN 8, my system goes into an endless loop.  I don't know whether it is my ISP (AT&T / Yahoo) or the fact that the files are zipped (by i Phone) or WIN 8 can't handle it or?   I called Apple CS and they have no clue ... I asked whether I could e-mail the files to them from my i Phone, they said they didn't have an e-mail address that I could use (?).  

The fact that WIN 8 goes into a flashing screened endless loop is most disturbing ... a reboot is required to recover the system!

Here's one of the files in question (Apple couldn't open it .. but their system (whatever it is) didn't loop).... Unfortunately, I couldn't e-mail it directly to them (thereby potentially eliminating them as a part of the problem)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Yeah I can open it (contains 3 pictures of a gun).  I had to extract the files from the zip archive to view them, rather than try to open them directly from the zip.  I'm using Windows 7 BTW, but they are valid jpeg images.

Edited by jonuk76, 19 December 2013 - 05:16 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Clarke123

Clarke123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks!

So, I guess this means that this, therefore isolates the problem to WIN 8 and / or the default zip program that comes with it.

OR possibly the latest version of IE that comes with WIN 8 and attempts to find a zip solution (?)

#4 Clarke123

Clarke123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Here seems to be a logical place to start getting a "FIX"

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/156/

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Maybe.  That is referring to Winzip though which is an add on program rather the built in support on Windows 8.  Have you installed Winzip?  I personally use 7zip - for me an essential program.  I'm not sure how you're opening the e-mails but if you choose to save the zip file to disk, then extract the contents, I can't see why that wouldn't work.  But then I've never used Windows 8.  I don't own an iPhone so I've no idea why it zip's up jpeg images before e-mailing them, if that's a default behavior?  Using zip compression on jpeg's is pretty pointless as they are already compressed in an efficient way.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users