Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use mouse on new computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimnor46

jimnor46

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

Just got a new laptop and hate the touch pad. Can I use a regular mouse on this thing?

Thanks...

Edited by jimnor46, 19 December 2013 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hey Jimnor46,

You'll be glad to know you can :)!

I also get frustrated at my laptops touch pad so a mouse is better for me to use.

Just plug a USB mouse into the laptop and if it doesn't require a CD to set up (which most of them don't) it should work after about 10 seconds. 

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hey Jimnor46,

You'll be glad to know you can :)!

I also get frustrated at my laptops touch pad so a mouse is better for me to use.

Just plug a USB mouse into the laptop and if it doesn't require a CD to set up (which most of them don't) it should work after about 10 seconds. 

Hey Darktune, thanks for the quick reply. Gonna give the mouse a try as I absolutely hate this touch pad. :thumbup2:

Edited by jimnor46, 19 December 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

For convenience you could also use a wireless mouse. :)

Tekken

#5 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thanks jhayz, might give that option a try. This touch pad drives me crazy. I'm always swipeing or touching the darn thing when I didn't intend to.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

If you do use a  mouse, then consider disabling the trackpad as well. Some laptops do this automatically when a mouse is plugged in, in many you need to switch it off yourself. If your laptop is one of the latter and you look at the function keys, you will probably find one that has some representation of either the trackpad, a mouse or both,and to disable the pad it is then usually 'Fn' with this other key. Pressing these two keys together again will re-activate the pad. On my wife's Fujitsu it is 'Fn' and 'F6', but there is no hard and fast rule.

I agree with you about how annoying it is to accidentally brush the pad and have the cursor vanish off the screen !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the advice CC. When I get the mouse, I'll keep that in mind. This has been my first experience with a touchpad and all I can say is, I'm not too impressed with them. I'm hopeing  the mouse will help out.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Always nice to have someone to go to when you need advice. :thumbup2:

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Another thing you might try is adjusting the sensitivity of the touch pad, this will reduce the number of times you use it unintentionally.

#9 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Another thing you might try is adjusting the sensitivity of the touch pad, this will reduce the number of times you use it unintentionally.

Well, the only problem is, sometimes it's too sensitive, I just barely touch it and then sometimes I have to run my finger across the darn thing several times to activate it. No rhyme or reason to what it does.  I appreciate the response though. All help/suggestions are appreciated. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users