Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

really quick question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

has anyone else seen this pop up. it  says it's from my antivirus(AVG) but it seemed a bit spammy. i yanked out my connection cord as soon as i saw it and took a screen shot. anyone else seen this(this site doesn't seem to have a facility to upload images in posts, poor design! hence pic is on google drive)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B71MSK3yoj6NeUpURmdlMFBkdjg/edit?pli=1

is it legit or something fishy?

sorry to trouble you.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

If When You post You Look at the bottom of the new post You may see the option to attach files. If when Replying You choose the option for "More Reply Options" next to the post button You may see Attach Files below the message. I have added a image I created in February that may help.

I say May since Attachments are only allowed on some forums.

attach.jpg

As to Your question. If You use no AVG products that would be an indicator of possible Spam. You could ask AVG if they are running such a promotion and if so and interested do it Via their website.

The image above is a web link. If You hover Your Mouse pointer over the different editor options You should see what they are The One I used here is next to the <> symbol.

I Hope this helps

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

I got the same ad on my AVG application on my Android yesterday. It's offering you to buy one license and get a second one to give as a gift at no extra charge.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:08 AM

Whenever you have a popup or a screen that makes you wonder about its origins, use Sysinternal's Process Explorer.

Start Process Explorer and click (press down, don't release) on the "Gun Sight" (Find Window's Process) icon.

Process Explorer disappears, and your cursor icon is a gun sight now. Drag the cursor over to the window/popup that interests you and release the mouse button.

The process to which this windows belong is now highlighted in Process Explorer.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

For those reading this topic who are unfamiliar with Didier Stevens' tip, please refer to How to find out what program is using a file with Process Explorer which includes a screenshot.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

I produced a video showing how to use Process Explorer's Find Window's Process.

The AVG popup did not appear on my VM, so I just used the AVG dialog box to show how to find the process.

http://youtu.be/kAksKTD9v70

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

Another bookmark to add to my notes. :thumbup2:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif