Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connect my old pc to wifi using tablet or laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 klloyd

klloyd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hi all,
I have an old pc running win xp, and doesnot access wifi. Is there a way to connect this pc to internet through home wifi, laptop or tablet?
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

You need a wireless Adapter or a crossover cable

Edited by Roodo, 19 December 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm guessing that "home wifi" is a router?

What is the make and model of this router.

Usually you can connect the computer with either a wireless adapter or a Ethernet cable, not a crossover cable.

You can find a wireless adapter at Newegg for as little as $10.00.  This model regularly sells for $30.00.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 klloyd

klloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi thanks for getting back to me. the desktop is the old one running win xp the problem figure, but laptop has win 7 with no probs connecting to internet via wifi.

#5 klloyd

klloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

Previously I have tried connecting it with Sony bluray box's  Wireless adaptor which is used to ocnnect the Blueray box to the internet , which didn't work, so I gave up.  The router model is  SR101 made by SKY. The white SKY router, if that helps.

As this is an old PC(built in 2002, with 2.6GHz processor, 512MB Ram, and 20GB HDD) which slows down when connected to the internet , I am not ready to spend a lot trying to rejuvenate this PC and am looking for solutions with existing resources.

Thanks again

Edited by klloyd, 19 December 2013 - 12:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users