Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Text messages from PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

I used to use the excellent but hush hush O2 website-to-mobile text messaging service, until it was withdrawn just recently.  I have found a few alternative replacements on the internet but so far not one that works, at least within the UK. - teleflip is a case in point.  I use Yahoo Mail (not Messenger and not Gmail). Has any reader come across an altrnative program that I could use for this purpose?

Tks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

You could try Sms Frog - http://www.smsfrog.com/sms-uk/ - and also look at the SMS gateway wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways - which has some other alternatives.

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Tks I'll check up on Sms Frog.  For anyone else reading the thread I have just found www.cbfsms.com which seems to provide a similar service but limited to 137 characters.  I will compare Frog with this ... with the following result!

Send SMS UK Error global limits

No free SMS available. Please try later again

#4 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

I was told that Yahoo Messenger could sent txts from PCs to mobiles but this doesn't seem to work - at least not in the UK - which is unfortunate since it would have been ideal.  Queries to Yahoo for explanations and help have met with the usual lack of response (if it's not covered in a FAQ don't bother asking). If anyone has found a way round this I'd be keen to know.

#5 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Have you considered using Google Voice? I believe it is now available in the UK, and is great for sending texts from a PC or just about any Internet device. I personally use it frequently when I'm on a plane. The only issue is that you can't send messages from your own number, but you do get a free Google number.

Edited by Soldierbane, 17 April 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#6 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Sounds like it's well worth checking out.  I'm not into G-Mail because I understand that their privacy standards leave something to be desired.  Do you have to subscribe to this in order to use "Voice"?

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Regarding Google's privacy standards, they are no worse than anyone else's and you should know no e-mail provider can provide you with secure e-mail.  A large deal is currently being made due to Google putting the fact that your e-mail is scanned to allow them to advertise to you being part of their terms of service.  E-mail should be considered to be the same as a post card and nothing confidential should be sent vial e-mail unless it is encrypted.

If you're sending text messages to a few numbers you may be able to go through their carrier's website.

#8 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

I had a quick look at Google Voice which does indeed seem to be integrated into G-Mail UK.  It looks like it's primarily intended to take on Skype audio and you have to prepay.  What I saw however didn't make any specific reference to being able to send UK PC origin txt messages, and if I'd forked out only to find that I couldn't use it for this purpose, being a Scot I'd feel a bit miffed.  If someone could confirm that SMS's from PC's are included and ideally what they cost (O2 PAYG had quite a generous free allowance), I would proceed.

[can you deduce a person's carrier's website from the number alone?]

#9 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

In my opinion the only real difference with Google's privacy policy is just they aren't hesitant to let you know how much data they have on you.

I've been using Google Voice here in the US with out paying a cent for almost a year now. My understanding is that you only have to pay if you're making an international call, but this may be different in the UK. 

Here in the US the service provides a free number to call from, text messaging from PC and Mobile, as well as visual voice mail to Email, web, and the app. 

I would recommend looking into a bit more and seeing if you can't sign up for a free account. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding information about the UK version from here in the US.

#10 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Yeah I think that's it - it's not a level playing field across the Pond and I concluded in the end that you could Yahoo-text from the US but not from the UK, which set the whole ball rolling.  I think the UK should consider imposing sanctions and visa restrictions on the US until the policy is revised.  Meanwhile my hunt continues - there may be a FAQ somewhere but I won't count on finding it.

#11 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

I've been using Google Voice here in the US with out paying a cent for almost a year now. My understanding is that you only have to pay if you're making an international call, but this may be different in the UK. 

Here in the US the service provides a free number to call from, text messaging from PC and Mobile, as well as visual voice mail to Email, web, and the app. 

I would recommend looking into a bit more and seeing if you can't sign up for a free account. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding information about the UK version from here in the US.

I was finally able to track down some Google Voice Help pages which buried in the middle confirmed that sending txt messages was indeed possible. However another pages starts with: "MMS: At this time MMS is not supported by Google Voice" and then "You can only send and receive text messages to phone numbers in the U.S. and Canada"

Which would appear to put a clobber on this particular avenue from a UK perspective.  So the search for an alternative to the O2 PAYG web texting service continues if some kind and knowledgeable reader would like to shout.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

If you only want to SEND text messages, then here in the US the "big boys" all permit you to send a text message by email.

For example, for Sprint, you address the email message to xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com (unless they have changed it…it has been a while since I have done it). AT&T and Verizon both has similar methods. So, you there might be a similar way in the UK.

This implies that O2 offers something similar:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6510217_send-message-o2-cell-phone.html

Don't know how old that information is or if that is essentially the service that you said they shutdown.

Assuming this works, it is only a one way send in my experience.

#13 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

Yup that was essentially the O2 UK system until they pulled it.  One way PC to mobile texts, but "replies" came back to I think one's own mobile (not to the web inbox).  It was always safer to ask the recipient to send a reply specifically to the mobile number by typing it in.

Worked like a dream but now definitely no more for PAYG customers and I'm not aware, having made a few enquiries of any of the other networks offering anything similar.  Otherwise I would switch!

I believe that there is some obscure way of using the recipient's provider's network system to send txt's - provided you know which one it is - but I have yet to sus this one out.

One would think that one or other of the competing UK networks would get the (US) message but as far as I can tell this ain't so :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users