Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to update XP after numerous rebuilds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Datun Walnut

Datun Walnut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hi,

I've been given Dell PC to rebuild due to a badly mangled HDD.

Originally it ran XP pro.

I've fitted a new HDD, loaded XP pro SP3 from the original CD and reloaded the drivers from the Dell site and can get online ok.

All hardware is showing working OK. I then found that it would continually hang when searching for updates and never find any.

A quick Google showed that services:  'background intelligent services' should be Auto and started - it wasn't. I've now corrected it, yet it still hangs.

I then decided to try reinstalling with a  DELL XP home SP2 disk that I had - downloiading new drivers.  Again, all loaded ok but again it hangs. The above service is stopped and won't even start (error 126).

I have three options left: XP Pro OEM disk that I have, A DELL XP Home sp1 disk, or try an upgrade to Dell vista disk.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

I had this same problem. Update the Windows Update Agent. Either Automatically through Fixit or Manually.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

http://msmvps.com/blogs/markd/archive/2008/05/09/windows-xp-sp3-breaks-windows-update.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 December 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

I would try performing all fixes with the following tool:

Windows All In One Repair Tool

It should help with the windows updates.

#4 Datun Walnut

Datun Walnut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thanks Guys - I'll give it a go.

The Windows AiO tool looks intriging. Hope none of my clients find it ;-)

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Here is the direct link for Windows XP SP3 Download. This will get updated to to when SP3 was produced.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

FWIW:  Dell recovery CDs...I don't believe those are tranferable to any other Dell system.  Dell stopped issuing install disks around 2005 wth their systems...so I'm curious as to the origin of these disks that you keep trying to install onto a specific Dell system.  There is no disk applicable to all Dell systems.

If you are not attempting clean installs each time...you are wasting your time.  If you are using disks designed for a system which you don't have...you are wasting your time.

The licenses, drivers, settings...reflected for the disks you used...may all just contribute to your situation, clean install or not.

The only universally possible disks which may work are MS Genuine CDs, each of which has its own license...but may possibly permit a valid install with a valid license for that specific version of Windows.

Louis

#7 DougCuk

DougCuk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Re XP systems hanging while searching for Windows Updates

That is a very big problem for a lot of people - not just you!

Check my answer (DougCuk_42) on this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/windows-xp-svchostexe-issues-unable-to-find-newest/00517aef-90dc-4af3-89df-347d2f0cfe8d

I think it will explain the problem and the fix.

On no account run any MS-Fix-It for Windows Update - at least until Microsoft fix the current bug - see my post here: 

http://forums.techguy.org/8830414-post36.html

If anyone has run either of the Fix-It's for Windows Update on an XP system - that post contains an easy fix to undo the damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users