Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible ram failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gerry13

gerry13

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:52 AM

hello,i'm using 2 sticks of ram memory,one of 4gb and the other of 2gb!!

for a couple of years they've been working fine!however for a month now both won't work!

each time i start up my pc it will light up and make the start up sounds but nothing shows up on the screen and the cpu light won't flash as usual during the boot up!!

i'm not even sure it's a ram problem because recently even with one stick happenned the same...

thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'm not sure it's the RAM yet either especially both at the same time

Not knowing how old the computer itself is, I would change the BIOS battery

If that doesn't work please post the make/model of your computer and note whether or not there is more than one beep when you start the computer. And is it a desktop or a laptop

#3 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

motherboard: gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

CPU:AMD Athlon 2 x3 450 processor

GPU: ATI Radeon 5850 1024mb

desktop pc

During the startup there is just one beep,under both  normal or not circumstances!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

Just to clarify...you get nothing visual onscreen?  Are the fans running?  No sign of system life?

Louis

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Normally, a single beep at boot would indicate a normal system start up.  So, I'd suggest that your first step in this case would be to beg, borrow, or steal a different monitor, connect it, and see what happens. If a different monitor still won't light up, then I would test the power supply. Power supply failures are extremely common. Just because fans spin, etc. doesn't mean the PSU is functioning correctly. In particular, check any power connections to your video card. A decent power supply tester will have connectors to do this.

If you've eliminated the monitor and PSU as points of failure, I'd boot the system from a CD and see if you can get a display. That bypasses any problems with your hard drive or Windows installation. If you still don't have any on screen display, then I think you have a bad video card, or mainboard in that order.

Edited by slgrieb, 19 December 2013 - 10:18 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

nothing visual onscreen,as if starting the monitor while the pc is shut!

all fans running normally but no sign of system booting and no sign of cpu processing data...

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

I would still replace the motherboard battery CR2032

Since you are getting only 1 beep which is normal I want to be optimistic that it isn't a bad motherboard or CPU

--- I know, if the normal 1 beep is there, why change the motherboard battery?

--- I've wondered that myself a few times when I changed a motherboard battery in situations such that you describe

When you say the cpu light won't flash , do you mean the hard drive light?

Switch the monitor connection from the video card to VGA

Try to use a different known working monitor as recommended

Do you have diagnostic lights on the back of your computer?

--- If so what color are they?

--- Do you have the motherboard manual to find out what each of those lights are for?

Do you know how to test the PSU as recommended?

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

motherboard gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

If you don't have the manual for your motherboard, this looks like it could be yours for the 2012 version toward the bottom of the list for available manuals

On pages 98 & 99, there are block diagrams for troubleshooting the computer

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=GA-880GM-UD2H

On page 97 there are BIOS beep codes and has been indicated, one beep is for a normal startup

#9 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

i have the manual for the motherboard!

yes,i mean the hard disk drive light under the on/off light on the front of the case!

there are no diagnostic lights on the back...

how can i change the battery of the motherboard??

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Google Links

If anyone suggests writing down settings...that is unnecessary.  After changing the battery, boot into BIOS...set correct date/time data, set correct boot options...save changes by hitting F10.

Louis

#11 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

nothing visual onscreen,as if starting the monitor while the pc is shut!

all fans running normally but no sign of system booting and no sign of cpu processing data...

OK, I gave you some basic troubleshooting information, and you've apparently decided to ignore my advice, so I have no further suggestions. Good luck with your problem

I would still replace the motherboard battery CR2032

Since you are getting only 1 beep which is normal I want to be optimistic that it isn't a bad motherboard or CPU

--- I know, if the normal 1 beep is there, why change the motherboard battery?

--- I've wondered that myself a few times when I changed a motherboard battery in situations such that you describe

When you say the cpu light won't flash , do you mean the hard drive light?

Switch the monitor connection from the video card to VGA

Try to use a different known working monitor as recommended

Do you have diagnostic lights on the back of your computer?

--- If so what color are they?

--- Do you have the motherboard manual to find out what each of those lights are for?

Do you know how to test the PSU as recommended?

Even if the CMOS battery were bad, and the rest of the hardware worked OK, the OP would at least get a splash screen or some sort of on screen display at boot.

Edited by slgrieb, 19 December 2013 - 06:24 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

slgrieb is correct that even if the CMOS battery is bad you should get at least a splash screen etc.
In my case I have seen some situations in which that wasn’t the case. In one situation without writing a long story one my of friends had the exact same symptoms on her daughters laptop that you describe and after some troubleshooting procedures by an expert computer technician they were told they needed a new motherboard and my friend wasn’t about to do that. She asked me if I could fix it. After listening to what they went through and verifying the condition of the laptop I didn’t have an answer myself; but I changed the CMOS battery. Well, what showed up on the screen for a split second (and I mean a split second, if I would have blinked at the right time I would have missed it) a corrupt setup screen appeared and instantly disappeared. So I moved on with taking care of the BIOS and all turned out well. And that is why I stated; I know, if the normal 1 beep is there, why change the motherboard battery? I've wondered that myself a few times when I changed a motherboard battery in situations such that you describe. I’m not saying changing the motherboard battery will fix your situation, I’m saying it’s worth finding out and/or if it’s a factor

Slgrieb also recommended changing the monitor
I know I expanded on that somewhat
But both of us are in tune with page 99 of the manual I posted (I don’t know whether or not it’s the same page in your manual) there is a step that states Check if there is display on your monitor; since the answer is No, the recommendation states; The graphics card, expansion slot, or monitor might fail

All of the above is the value of inputs provided by BC members which hopefully will help you progress along with your troubleshooting decisions

If you get to the point of having to test the PSU, then we’ll go with it.

gerry13 I hope I didn't scare you away with my long drawn out answer
I would still change the motherboard battery first to eliminate whether or not it helps right up front. I have seen cases where a lot of troubleshooting had been done and eventually replacing the motherboard battery led to the solution.
--- Recommendations on replacing it & explanations are already posted
------ If you need clarifications, please let us know
--- The next step if that doesn't work, review the monitors, graphics card, expansion slot & VGA suggestions

Edited by hamluis, 22 December 2013 - 03:03 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users