Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

native zip support: how to make it safely go away?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

as everyone is no doubt familiar, windows has had integrated zip support for years now. which is not a bad thing, in theory.

except for the part where windows insists on displaying zip files as directories in windows explorer. and when you have a section on your external drive/dvdrw/etc full of zip files, this can result in some serious directory tree bloat.

since the good folks at MS didn't think to make it so you could just uncheck a box to stop that, anyone who's got a dedicated archiving tool like 7zip or winrar, or even winzip itself, is stuck with windows doing something unnecessary. back in XP it was a simple regsvr32 /u command away from being stopped, but in vista and 7... not so much.

so now I get to pile another thing on my list of issues in setting up my new win7 install.

how can I safely disable the native zip support so that windows explorer won't be showing me zip files as directories in the tree?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

WinRar does what you seek/ask for. Personally 7zip is better.

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

... you did not read that post at all, did you.

installing software to handle archives does not cause windows to stop displaying zip-type archives as directories. furthermore I HAVE 7zip in place.

seriously, if you're not going to actually read a post don't reply to it.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

... you did not read that post at all, did you.

installing software to handle archives does not cause windows to stop displaying zip-type archives as directories. furthermore I HAVE 7zip in place.

seriously, if you're not going to actually read a post don't reply to it.

IWinRar but it does INFACT display .zip files as Winrar's zip icon and not Windows Directory folder which you asked for. install Winrar so it will over right the file type association for icon cache.

i gather thats what you mean or are you talking about the dos command tree?

Edit: if its tree command you are wanting then pipe with find

tree /f | find /i ".zip"

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 19 December 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#5 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

*sigh* since reading carefully is proving a problem with regard to this matter... a visual aide.

fH2Rstj.png

now. after talking to a friend who works in comp sales/service, eventually the following was found:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0b064013-fdc2-423d-8426-c714357bd786/how-do-i-disable-zip-folders-in-windows-7

the solution in the second post does infact work. so having shared this discovered bit of wisdom, I shall consider the matter of this thread closed.

note: if you look through the entire thread linked you will see people failing to address the problem in the exact same manner as happened here, thus my frustrated remark at the top of this post. it seems that no matter where one goes there are people who are looking at this and somehow getting "I want to open them with something else" out of "I don't want them displayed in the directory tree".

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

I dont normally use that view in Windwos 7 because of very large network shares, it actually opens the file twice. IS this image below what you are talking about? (And next time be a little more clear about the question at hand, using the word directory tree to me means using the command line)

Now on the other hand you might have the (Automatyically Expand folders) option ticked. Goto runa nd type in "control /name microsoft.folderoptions" and on the general tab make sure the bottom 2 boxes ate unticked. (Show all fiels and Automatically expand to current folder) Or do you just not want any zip fiels shopwing whats so ever?

2j1n135.jpg

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 20 December 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:07 AM

I personally never found it annoying with windows way of handling compressed archives. Usually I have always used winzip, winrar, 7zip to take advantage of all it's features. I guess I can see where it would be annoying for some. Found site that you can use a .reg file to switch back and forth. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13619-zip-folders-enable-disable-windows-explorer-view.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users