Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newly built PC locks up in normal mode. At a total LOSS!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Busunge

Busunge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

but it's fine in safe mode?

It's a recently home built gaming computer, and every time I boot it up in normal mode, it freezes. It doesnt stutter and then freeze, it just locks up. the only way I get fix it is if I do a hard reset on the chassis.

here's what Im running
asus a88x plus motherboard
120g kingston hyperx ssd
sapphire radeon 7870 amd graphics card
amd 4 core athelon processor
600w psu
typical wireless card.

Im also running Windows 7 ultimate 

Im at a total loss here. I have done everything I can think of. I go into the BIOS and reset things to the default.. I change the CPU speed from 3.9 (normal) to 3.5... it's not an overheating issue, as it works fine in safemode, plus I have 3 high fans.

Ive reset the jumper on my motherboard... Ive put it down to just one processor, Ive reseated everything (including ram, graphics card and all the cables) Ive double checked all my connections... I have literally done EVERYTHING I can think of to make this computer not freeze up when it boots in normal mode.

I switched off the CPU boost button on the motherboard, thinking that would help.. but nope. and something curious to mention, that when I go into the BIOS and reset things to the default, there's always something changed in it, even though I dont change anything.

Like, it says [changing CPU overclocking from auto to manual]
[reset CPU sped from auto to 3.8] even though I didnt make ANY of those changes in the first place.

I am seriously at a loss... it's driving me crazy that I cant figure out whats wrong with this stupid computer. PLEASE please PLEASE help me... google is no help either. I need someone with experience and knowledge or ideas on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Have you tried running a malware/virus scan in safe mode? thats what it sounds like to me,that you have a virus or malware.

CPU usage goes way up and Im guessing RAM usage as well, classic virus.

Run your antivirus and get Malwarebytes and run that as well, see if it comes up with anything.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

Is this a brand new build and you've just installed Windows and it's never worked properly, or was it a working install that suddenly stopped working?  It's not entirely clear.  Second thing that comes to mind, is that 600w a good PSU or a no-name cheapy?  There are some horrendously bad PSU's around in the very low end where the rating is pure fantasy (some cases they actually blow up before hitting their supposed rated output).  Hopefully your not using one of these :)

Have you tried running the memory test on the Windows DVD?   It takes a good few hours to run, but passing it would be a good sign.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Im at a total loss here. I have done everything I can think of. I go into the BIOS and reset things to the default.. I change the CPU speed from 3.9 (normal) to 3.5... it's not an overheating issue, as it works fine in safemode, plus I have 3 high fans.

Sounds to me like it's either your video card drivers need to be updated since safe mode  doesn't use the drivers, or you have a conflicting application that's running on normal boot but not safe mode.

Let's try to do a clean start and see if that helps.

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

Click Start

VistaStartButton.jpg

, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

SecurityShield.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Step 2: Configure Selective Startup options

1. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
  2. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
    Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
  3. Click the Services tab.
  4. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  5. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

After it restarts boot into Normal mode and see if it still locks up.

Edited by chrisd87, 20 December 2013 - 12:52 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users