Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon 5450 Keeps Crashing in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hishighness

hishighness

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Hey all, I've got a Radeon 5450 running under Windows 7. Every so often the screen will freeze, except the mouse pointer and then go black. sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. When it does come it says that the video card has stopped working and been restarted. I looked up this error and it said ot make sure you're running the latest driver so I did and it still happens.

I know it's not a hardware issue because I have a dual boot system running Ubuntu and it works fine there, never freezes.

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any tips or troubleshooting steps I can take.

Thanks for your time,

HH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hey all, I've got a Radeon 5450 running under Windows 7. Every so often the screen will freeze, except the mouse pointer and then go black. sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. When it does come it says that the video card has stopped working and been restarted. I looked up this error and it said ot make sure you're running the latest driver so I did and it still happens.

I know it's not a hardware issue because I have a dual boot system running Ubuntu and it works fine there, never freezes.

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any tips or troubleshooting steps I can take.

Thanks for your time,

HH

I'd always suggest running a few passes of a basic memory diagnostic like MemTest86+, because I've seen systems that could run various Linux distributions crash and burn in Windows; memory demands and usage aren't the same. Open Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and look at the Application and System logs for critical errors and troubleshooting info.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 hishighness

hishighness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hi, sorry for the delay, what with the holidays and then I got sick. lol.

Anyway, I ran memtest86+ every way I possibly could and got no errors. Then I waited for the problem to happen again and captured the error message in the Administrative tools section. Here's the error I got.

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users