Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have two IPV4 addresses

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 coolecho

coolecho

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi,

I replaced my D-Link router with a Linksys EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC Router. I had a fixed IP 192.168.2.XXX with the D-Link. I changed the network adapter porperties to automatic DHCP for the EA6500. So far so good, but when I do "ipconfig /all" I see two IPv4 addresses! 1st one lists 10.47.171.XXX (Preferred), and the 2nd is 192.168.2.32 (Preferred). The second is the old hard IP.

How can this happen?

Thanks,

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2013 - 02:52 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

DHCP is assigning you a local ip address (like if you were in an intranet), but your fixed ip is set by your ISP...

My Ip address on my machine is 41.0.x.x, but if you were to ping me from the internet you would see 192.xxx.xx.x. (whatever, I can't be bothered looking at the exact numbers.)

edit: I don't know why you can see both of these addresses... but that is why they exist.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 December 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

I highly recommend removing your static IP address, combined with your router model it opens pandoras box to hackers.

#4 coolecho

coolecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi,

But I have removed the static IP Address. In the current Net adapter's settings it's set to Auto.

Does anyone know where I can find info on checking my Linksys EA6500 settings for security?

Thanks!

Edited by coolecho, 18 December 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

I meant removing the information from your original post...

the static ip address still exists, on your router, that is how you are being served network connection from your ISP.... you just don't see it anymore on your machine.

edit: for example, if you go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ you will see the 192 address, not your 10 address...

Edited by TsVk!, 18 December 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

Does anyone know where I can find info on checking my Linksys EA6500 settings for security?

type 192.168.1.1 in your browser address bar.

username and password are both admin. you need to change this too...

(you may have to physically connect with a cable to get in)

Edited by TsVk!, 18 December 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#7 Shackks

Shackks

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

Hello,

Few points to ponder on your issue. 

1. How are u connected to your router?

2. Which network interface is using the IP Address for the old network?

Cheers

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:03 AM

Can you copy and paste the full print out of ipconfig /all

Also 10.0.0.0/8 and 192.168.0.0/16 are private IP address, and there is no harm in posting those IP's on an open forum.  THere are thousands of devices out there in the internet that have those IP's along with the following:

127.0.0.0/8

172.16-31.0.0/16 ranges.

This means that you cannot openly attack the IP's as you would get no where and potentially attack your own computer.

#9 coolecho

coolecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hello,

Default Username on this model is not admin/admin. And I did replace the router access to a secure password, as well as secure wi-fi passwords for both bands, turned off wi-fi SSID broadcast, and set Security to WPA2 Personal.

Edited by coolecho, 19 December 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Can you please post the full output and do not edit anything.

Please read my post about private IP address space why it's okay to post that information.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yes Cryptodan, you have spotted my oversight that 192.168.x.x.  is the router address rather than a physical address... I spend too much time in my protected bubble.

Hello,

Default Username on this model is not admin/admin. And I did replace the router access to a secure password, as well as secure wi-fi passwords for both bands, turned off wi-fi SSID broadcast, and set Security to WPA2 Personal.

The internet can provide an amazing wealth of information, I got that password from the manual, which I located online..... with Google. If you replaced the password and changed the settings then you already know how to access the settings, which leads me to wonder why you are asking the question in a forum.

#12 coolecho

coolecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi,

The routers all setup properly. It's the adapter on my one Win 7 system that shows the two IPv4's. The other Win 7 only shows one. I will swap the adapter with a another on hand. That'll probably fix it.

Thanks

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

make sure you have still got the IP address on the adaptor. Goto run and type ncpa.cpl, then navigate to IPV4/Properties/Advanced and check the Ip Settings tab.

I have 3 or 4 IP's set on my servers for services (Exchange, Sharepoint etc etc on same adaptor) and just create DNS pointers to suit.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 19 December 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#15 coolecho

coolecho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Thanks JonnnyJammer, that did the trick. I had 2 IP's set in the advanced box, the old one I was wanting to get rid of and the new one set for my new router. So I deleted the old one.

Works great ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users