Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

remove System Restore points individually?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Double44

Double44

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hi, I just used System Restore a couple days ago to recover from a bad Windows Update install. It has saved my hide a few times.

These 'points' have accumulated over time and are about to reach its capacity (75GB). After it reaches this threshold, I fear my manual updates are going to be eaten away. I need a way to keep the manual ones I've set, but remove the ones Windows has automatically created. Is there any way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hi -

It is generallyregarded that if today is a "good day" then why not set a fresh batch of restore points starting from now.

When you have a problem or infection, you reset all points once the problem is fixed.

To go back beyond this point means that you are entering areas of infection or problems -

I just reset every few months if all is OK, and that is all I have needed ......

Others may have opinions, but these are just mine -

Thank You -

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

From here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-restore-point#1TC=windows-7

You cannot delete an individual restore point, but you can either delete all restore points or all but the most recent restore point. Deleting restore points temporarily frees up disk space. As new restore points are created, disk space will be used again.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

I asked this question over at Seven Forums, and one guy had replied:

"restore points" are actually the "old state" of blocks on disk. They are used to be able to rollback the disk to an earlier state. So "restore points" are incremental!!

So you cannot delete restore points somewhere in the middle... it is only possible if you merge them together. But that won't give you any extra space (only blocks that are rewritten in both restore points).

Then replied with this soon after:

System Restore Explorer - View, Delete and Browse Inside System Restore Points

It's a link to a freeware program that (apparently) can remove restore points. Does this sound legit, or would removing a point cause the others to go haywire?

I thought creating restore points were just a simple image of the registry, and any modified installs?

#5 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

I just finished trying out the freeware, and it worked just fine! :D Not sure if it's just me, but the auto-generated points seem smaller than the size of the manual points.

Another piece of freeware people have mentioned is CCleaner, apparently it also can remove points. I've never used it though and its probably for the best.

Edited by Double44, 18 December 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#6 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Check CCleaner (free) under tools/restore.  Individual points can be removed from here.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

You can increase the space allocated for restore points, see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/how-do-i-increase-the-number-of-system-restore/770ba27d-070d-4931-8fae-40ea857b1187 .

Louis

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:47 AM

Hello -.
Piriform - Removing System Restore points You may be relating to this article -

Rather than disable System Restore, you can use CCleaner to selectively remove System Restore points (see above).

Note: CCleaner removes references to the System Restore points, but may not actually remove all files related to each point.

Thank You -

#9 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

I used the function in CCleaner when I wanted to remove known bad Restore Points (driver installs that prevented Sleep/Hibernate functions from working) without removing known good Restore Points.

System Restore Explorer looks interesting though - I may have a play with that when I get some time as I like the idea of restoring individual files.

The notion that the Restore Points are incremental doesn't work for me - although it may seem to explain why MS don't allow direct access to delete individual Restore points.

For this to work, the 1st Restore point in a "set" would have to be a 'Full' backup/image with subsequent Restore points being incremental, and you would need to restore back to the Base Full Backup and roll the incrementals back on top to the desired point in time. A Differential backup strategy would make a little more sense, but again would require a Base '"Full" backup as a starting point.

Two problems with this for me - that fact that MS implements a first-in, first-out algorithm for freeing up old Restore Points, and secondly the fact that you can jump around between older and newer Restore Points in any order.

Steve O.

#10 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

As I mentioned, I posed this question to Seven Forums. If anyone is interested, you can find it here. I'm not really sure what to make of System Restore after all this.

Steve OC

The notion that the Restore Points are incremental doesn't work for me - although it may seem to explain why MS don't allow direct access to delete individual Restore points.

Agreed, I believe if they were really meant to be deleted individually, Windows have given us the option to.

Edited by Double44, 22 December 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#11 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

It occurs to me that if Restore points are automatically removed after a period of time the notion of incremental restore points is pointless!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users