Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Problem!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BStew

BStew

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:38 PM

After deleting a lot of temporary internet files my IE has started running slow and I can no longer download from the internet. Is it possible I deleted something that I wasn't suppose to delete? If so how can I find out what is causing the problem and how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:27 AM

My first thought is that you need to run scans with your anti virus, spyware, and adware protection. Then again, just how did you go about deleting the temporary files?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 BStew

BStew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:35 AM

My Norton Anti Virus scans everyday. And on the deleting thing, I did a search of Windows Temporary Internet files and deleted them.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

If you went to start> search> for files and folders, and deleted them from there you can go to your recylcle bin and restore those, unless you have emptied the bin. If this is the way you deleted your temp. files, you need to know that there is a much safer method for this, right click on Internet Explorer> properties, and the first tabb should be general. Under general you will find the options to delete cookies, files, and settings. If you restore the files that you deleted and still have problems, there is a good possibility that you have an infection.

If you are using Norton for your anti virus and fire wall alone, it isn't enough now days to protect you, most everyone here will suggest that you also have an anti spyware, adware, and malware. There are freeware programs that have good reputations and are easy on the resources, and easy to use. Below is a list of freeware programs that you can download.

Spyware Search and Destroy
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Ad-aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Ewido Security Suite
http://www.download.com/Ewido-Security-Sui...4-10326287.html

If you don't use the Norton firewall, Sygate works well.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...,RSS,RSS,00.asp

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kenith

kenith

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:14 AM

Hey Dc3,

you might give an undelete program a try...majorgeek has a few freebies on their site...you might be able to get the files back that you deleted...good luck...

#6 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:29 AM

There should be abosolutely nothing in any temp file that it would hurt to delete, IMHO.

Repairing IE might help. Sometimes it's a simple fix that's overlooked.

In control panel, add/delete programs, find Microsoft Internet Eplorer, click delete and a window should appear, click repair.

Randall

Edited by randyrayd, 11 May 2006 - 11:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users