Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows startup problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 claryfray

claryfray

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hey, I've been having a slew of startup of problems. Firstly, the computer takes really really long to boot. I get the blinking underscore screen for a bit, then the words "Starting Windows" appears and it stays like that for a bit. Finally, the Windows logo starts to form and it stays that way for about five minutes.

Just today, my computer stayed on the Starting Windows screen(with the logo completely loaded) for over twenty minutes. Frustrated, I decided to do a hard reboot, but I was told Windows had problems starting up. I was advised to proceed with system repair. I tried that, but I was told Windows was unable to repair my system, or something along those lines. So I fired up the computer again and this time it booted, completed with the ridiculously long booting time.

My questions are : What could be the problem? Is my main hard drive at risk of failing soon?

Also, this could be unrelated, but two of my other drives have been known disappear and then reappear constantly. Those are pretty old drives, one in particular(drive F) has not "appeared" in weeks. I suspect it could be dead, if so, could it cause problems such as the ones mentioned above? I've ran HD Tune on the other old drive(drive G) and there's only one bad sector, so I'm not sure why it could be disappearing. Windows is not installed on these drives, F and G, but on another one, C. I would run HD Tune on my main drive C, but I haven't got the time because it's 1TB large.

Any help would be appreciated.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I would unhook the disappeared drive. It could be causing these types of problems.

In fact I would disconnect all but the Windows drive as a test.

I would also run hard drive diagnostics on the other drives. If You need suggestions?

Western Digital  Data Lifeguard Diagnostic - WD - Western Digital

Segate  SeaTools for Windows

You can usually use Seatools for other brands too.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 December 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

I would unhook the disappeared drive. It could be causing these types of problems.

In fact I would disconnect all but the Windows drive as a test.

I would also run hard drive diagnostics on the other drives. If You need suggestions?

Western Digital  Data Lifeguard Diagnostic - WD - Western Digital

Segate  SeaTools for Windows

You can usually use Seatools for other brands too.

Good Luck

Roger

Yeah, except I have no idea how to unhook the drive(s). My pc was put together by someone else, so I'm really apprehensive about tearing it apart. I could learn, I guess. The disappeared drive(F) still appears in the BIOS screen at the beginning, sometimes. Anyway, I downloaded Seatools and ran the Short DST test, which was the recommended test according to Google? My main drive C, which is the one Windows is on, passed. The other disappearing drive G failed.

Should be running other more intensive tests?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

The fact that the G: drive failed the short test is fairly conclusive.  But you could run the long test to be sure.

As for disconnecting or removing the faulty hdd, there is a tutorial for both PATA and SATA drives which can be found here.  There are step by step instructions with photos for each step.  If you click on the photos they will be enlarged.

The tutorial addresses the material I posted below, I feel it is important that this information be emphasized.

Before you start to open the case make sure the computer is off, then unplug it from the wall outlet. 

There is a danger of electrostatic discharges occurring when you touch components inside the case.  These discharges can damage or kill board components.  To avoid this touch the metal of the case before you touch anything inside the case. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thank You DC3. I see you ran across this before I got online today. I second the run the long test too.

One reminder. Since it appears that You have 1 or more failing drive(s) Back up any data You would hate to lose.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

Okay, I finally got around to removing the dying/dead drives. Boot time has been reduced, but is still longer than what is "normal" for me. I removed the red cables, but I left the other cables(yellow, red, and black all bundled up together) inside because my computer was a big mess, I wonder if that's okay?

Any reason for the still longer than usual boot time?

If this is inappropriate, tell me and I'll move it to a different section.

I'll admit, I was only concerned about backing up my current data that I neglected the older drives. I managed to get data off G(the one that still appears from time to time), but not F(the one that has stopped appearing completely.) I did not backup drive F which contain a bunch of family photos. As a last resort, I bought a USB SATA adapter because I read that if the drive still appears in BIOS(mine does), there might be a chance it could still be alive.

Upon connecting it, it made a repetitive clicking noise, kind of like a broken record that keeps skipping. I know that is really bad news. But, um, I see the drive, and after a while the clicking noise stopped. I tried accessing the drive but windows explorer would hang, or I would get the message : drive not accessible, parameter incorrect. Is there any way, any way at all that I could salvage my data from this "dead" drive???

#7 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

Upon connecting it, it made a repetitive clicking noise, kind of like a broken record that keeps skipping. I know that is really bad news. But, um, I see the drive, and after a while the clicking noise stopped. I tried accessing the drive but windows explorer would hang, or I would get the message : drive not accessible, parameter incorrect. Is there any way, any way at all that I could salvage my data from this "dead" drive???

It sounds like the drive is dead, chances are you're going to be losing the DATA that is on the drive. Unless you pay a massive amount of money to a professional DATA loss company that can move the platters to a different drive. The price of it is usually not worth it.

As far as the slow start up, could be a number of things. I'm thinking it has something to do with the drives that are "on & off" as if the windows is trying to recognize  them but getting stuck with it shutting on & off.

#8 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hm, but I took the on and off drives out. What is left is the drive which Windows is on. I wouldn't call it a major lag in boot time, but it's definitely booting up slower than your average pc.

My main drive(1TB) is almost full, I guess that could be a factor for the slow boot. However, I've cut it pretty close before, leaving only 1-2GB of space left. At that point, my computer was booting up normally. Right now, I have about 14GB left.

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2013 - 12:01 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#9 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Most computers will slow down, at least in my experience when your drive is almost full. 90-95%. Try moving some files around or deleting unneeded files, then try to defrag the drive. See if that changes your boot time, also you can check in msconfig to see if you have unneeded programs starting when you start the computer.

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2013 - 12:00 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

I would suggest unhooking that drive and not trying anything on it right now. Doing the wrong thing could make matters worse.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi, I've done some checking to confirm what I suspected.

The way to get the data back will involve a data recovery facility that has a clean room. Your symptoms indicate a hardware failure.

It will probably cost $750 to over a $1000 to recover that data from that drive, If You go that route.

One other thought, maybe You can recover some of the pictures from the camera memory card(s). Do not use them. Even if the images were deleted after being copied to the computer some of them can usually be recovered.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

The free version is worth trying. I have used it myself.

Recuva File Recovery

rc_64.pngAccidentally deleted an important file? Lost something important when your computer crashed? No problem! Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's free!

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users