Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to run "chkdsk" on unbootable XP...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 r.hamil

r.hamil

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

I'm trying to use ARCDC from Artellos.com for the XP recovery. But when it tells me to press "R" to repair and run chdsk" it doesn't give me the option to press 1 to "chkdsk /1" because there's just "C:\>" and no "C:\WINDOWS" for me to choose from.

And when I ran "chkdsk /r" using these commands "C:\> chkdsk /r" it loads a blue screen with bunch of jibberish like...

"STOP: c0000139 {ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND}

The procedure entry point LdrSetMUICacheType could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll."

I alway get this blue screen when windows is loading and can't boot into windows and thought maybe "chkdsk" could be a solution.

Edited by r.hamil, 18 December 2013 - 11:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

You have listed chkdsk /1 and C:\ chkdsk/r.  The command with out designating the drive is chkdsk /r. the command designating the drive is chkdks C: /r.

The instruction for this are below.

How to make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
    * Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    * You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
    * You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
    * Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
    * The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

***Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter.  Please observe that there is a space between chkdsk and the forward slash r (/r).

Chkdsk has five stages which will display the percentage of each stage as it runs.  This can take a very long time to run, it may even appear to have stalled.  Please do not stop this process as it can cause severe damage to the operating system.

***Pressing R will take you to the Command prompt, this is where you type in the chkdsk /r command.  It has been a while since I've run this in XP, but you should receive the following message after pressing Enter.  You will get the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.  Would you like to shcedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  (Y/N)

Press the Y key, then press Enter and restart your computer.

If you receive the STOP: c0000139 {ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND} message type d:\gdi32.dll file c:\windows\system32 in the command prompt and press Enter.  Then type [b]d:\gdi32.dll file c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 in the command prompt and then press Enter.  Restart your computer.

Edited by dc3, 18 December 2013 - 12:14 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 r.hamil

r.hamil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

I tried typing "d:\gdi32.dll file c:\windows\system32" at prompt and it said "The Command is not recognized" and I assume this means I don't have the file, Right?

By the way, I appreciate the response.

If it helps, I have and old Puppy Linux desktop CD that I could use to copy files manually if that helps.

Edited by r.hamil, 18 December 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Please go back and run the ARCDC using the proper command, chkdsk /r

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 r.hamil

r.hamil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

I did all that and got ARCDC from a previous forum. But my problem is is that everytime I type "chkdsk /r" at the repair prompt I get the blue screen with this dialogue...

"STOP: c0000139 {ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND}

The procedure entry point LdrSetMUICacheType could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll."

#6 r.hamil

r.hamil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

I guess I'll be going to bed now as i haven't slept all night.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Try doing a System Restore to a date prior to this problem.

#8 r.hamil

r.hamil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

I tried system restore like like last known good configuration or something.

Is there another way to do system restore?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

Yes, use the ARCDC to access the command prompt and type rstrui.exe and press Enter.

#10 r.hamil

r.hamil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

I tried to access rstrui.exe at command prompt and it said "this command is not recognized."

I must be missing alot of files.

I'm gonna try something with my old system32 folder that I backed up when I fixed my previous boot problem.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key.  If there isn't a BSOD you will boot into the Windows Advanced Options Menu where you will find Safe Mode.  Use the up or down key to navigate to Safe Mode and press Enter to choose it.

#12 r.hamil

r.hamil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Well, what I did didn't work. So I guess I'll go back to plan B.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well, what I did didn't work. So I guess I'll go back to plan B.

What did you do which didn't work?

#14 r.hamil

r.hamil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

No! entering safe-mode didn't work either. However when I do enter safe-mode it doesn't show a blue-screen of death. When I'm in safe-mode it loads alot of files, such as from system 32 drivers and then it pauses and says "press esc to cancel loading sptd.sys" and then restarts.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disc for the operating system, or can you borrow one from a friend?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users