Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nVidia GeForce 6200 BSOD

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 baegus

baegus

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hey there, I have a problem with my nVidia 6200 GPU I just bought for my dad's old computer. Whenever I try to boot up Win7 and log in, it gives me a BSOD saying an attempt to reset display driver has failed. The BSOD is associated with nvlddmkm.sys
I also have the old GPU, ATI 9200, accesible. This one kinda works (with lots of BSODs caused by something different, I guess), but we replaced it. I also tried booting up into Safe Mode and installing nVidia drivers, but the installation failed and Win7 installed their own.

Specs:
Windows 7 32bit
1GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce 6200
AMD Duron ~1.2GHz
ASRock K7NF2-RAID motherboard
Maxpower PX-300W

Please help. I know the computer might not seem to be worth it, but my dad doesn't need all that powerful PC and he doesn't want to invest more money into it. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by baegus, 18 December 2013 - 10:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

What Nvidia driver did you use? Delete the driver in safe mode using Uninstall in Control Panel. After deleting the driver does the computer boot normally? If it does, download DriverSweeper and run it in safe mode. Delete any display drivers shown including the ones for ATI. Then reboot and install the following Nvidia 301.42 driver. It is one of the older ones but very stable.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/44966/en-us

#3 baegus

baegus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

What Nvidia driver did you use? Delete the driver in safe mode using Uninstall in Control Panel. After deleting the driver does the computer boot normally? If it does, download DriverSweeper and run it in safe mode. Delete any display drivers shown including the ones for ATI. Then reboot and install the following Nvidia 301.42 driver. It is one of the older ones but very stable.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/44966/en-us

I used the latest one nVidia suggested for Series 6, but as I said, the installation failed. I'm gonna try to download the ones you suggested, but I'm on a sucky mobile connection right now. Thanks for your help!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

That card is listed as needing a minimum 300 watt PS. If the computer if old, the PS may be the issue and you would need to upgrade to a larger PS. I would think something like 500 watts would be sufficient if you are not running too much on the computer.

#5 baegus

baegus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

That card is listed as needing a minimum 300 watt PS. If the computer if old, the PS may be the issue and you would need to upgrade to a larger PS. I would think something like 500 watts would be sufficient if you are not running too much on the computer.

Well, I forgot to mention that there is a white 2-pin connector on the graph. card, but I don't have anything to connect into it.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

Well, I forgot to mention that there is a white 2-pin connector on the graph. card, but I don't have anything to connect into it.

Do NOT plug anything into that connector except for a cooling fan!!!! That is what that is there for.

I'll see if I can help you, be back shortly.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

In bios did you set the primary video to agp

#8 baegus

baegus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

In bios did you set the primary video to agp

Yes, I did.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hello baegus, sorry for my quick reply in post number 6, but I had something to do and wanted to get that warning out to you before you attached something to your video card that was not meant to be connected to it.

I also own various Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP video cards. Which size is your card's video memory? Is it 128, 256 or 512 MB?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 December 2013 - 12:03 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 baegus

baegus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hello baegus, sorry for my quick reply in post number 6, but I had something to do and wanted to get that warning out to you before you attached something to your video card that was not meant to be connected to it.

I also own various Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP video cards. Which size is your card's video memory? Is it 128, 256 or 512 MB?

Bruce.

It's the 512MB one. :)

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Just as I figured, I had the same issues with my 512MB cards, no matter what I did, my Asus A7V8X motherboard did not like the card and would not display any video even though the computer booted up.

It has to do with your computer's chipset and there is nothing you can do to get the 512MB card to work.

Here is my suggestion, it worked for me, I bought a Nvidia GeForce 7800GS OC 256Mb card and that system ran error free ever since I put that card into the AGP slot. Here's such a card and believe me when I say they are rare. http://www.amazon.com/BFG-GeForce-7800-GDDR3-Graphics/dp/B000EH5A5Y I bought mine from a seller who sold out all 50 video cards he had and no one complained about the performance. Sadly, he never restocked, so the link above is not to his site.

Read the specs:

•Built for Microsoft® Windows Vista NVIDIA's third-generation GPU architecture built for Windows Vista gives users the best possible experience with the 3D graphical user interface in the new operating system (OS) from Microsoft.
•Next-Generation Superscalar GPU ArchitectureDelivers up to 2x the shading power of previous generation products taking gaming performance to extreme levels.
•Full Microsoft DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 SupportThe standard for today's PCs and next-generation consoles enables stunning and complex effects for cinematic realism. NVIDIA GPUs offer the most complete implementation of the Shader Model 3.0 feature set, including vertex texture fetch (VTF), to ensure top-notch compatibility and performance for all DirectX 9 applications.
•NVIDIA CineFX® 4.0 EngineDelivers advanced visual effects at unimaginable speeds. Full support for Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 enabling stunning and complex special effects. Next-generation shader architecture with new texture unit design streamlines texture processing for faster and smoother gameplay.
•NVIDIA Intellisample 4.0 TechnologyThe industry's fastest antialiasing delivers ultra-realistic visuals, with no jagged edges, at lightning-fast speeds. Visual quality is taken to new heights through a new rotated grid sampling pattern, advanced 128 tap sample coverage, 16x anisotropic filtering, and support for transparent supersampling and multisampling.

If you can get one NEW, that's even better, mine was new.

Bruce.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

OH, by the way I found one on ebay that looks just like mine. Mine was a EVGA branded one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-7800-GS-256A8N506AX-256-MB-GDDR3-SDRAM-AGP-Video-Card-/281228986762?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item417a8dc98a

As I said you now have a basic idea of what card it is, if you can find one NEW, cheap and the seller has a good rating, buy it.

Bruce.

#13 baegus

baegus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Just as I figured, I had the same issues with my 512MB cards, no matter what I did, my Asus A7V8X motherboard did not like the card and would not display any video even though the computer booted up.

It has to do with your computer's chipset and there is nothing you can do to get the 512MB card to work.

Are you telling me that any 512MB card won't ever work on my motherboard? Well, that's pretty bad since I pretty much wasted my money on the 6200.

Perhaps, could you help with the old ATI 9200? This computer with the same configuration worked really well back then, but now it just randomly crashes with BSODs. It usually lasts like 2-3 hours until it restarts. Sometimes when running Firefox, sometimes when simply using the brush in Photoshop... It's very random. It happened before on Windows XP and it happens now on Win7 x86. Do you have any idea what could be causing this? It was the reason why we bought the 6200.

Edited by baegus, 18 December 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#14 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

Try one more thing in bios disable fast write and side band addressing.

#15 baegus

baegus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Try one more thing in bios disable fast write and side band addressing.

Nope, didn't work. It does pretty much the same thing. I'm able to see my cursor after booting and then some scrambled parts of Welcome screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users