Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FreeRide Games uninstall problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nemoaquis

nemoaquis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

FreeRide Games came bundled with my Lenovo Z580 running windows 8.  After uninstalling via add/remove programs the folder C:\ProgramData\FreeRide Games containing 768 MB still remains.  Also C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeRide Games containing only Uninstall.exe.  Running the Uninstall.exe apears to do nothing. 

Tried to reinstall and uninstall again making sure the program was not running via Revo Uninstaller Portable on advanced mode.  After restarting my computer the same situation described above remains.  Can I go ahead and simply delete both these folders manually to recycle bin without leaving behind unwanted traces of the program?

Thank you in advance for any help or info you can provide?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

Yes, you can delete those folders since you have uninstalled the program.

#3 nemoaquis

nemoaquis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thank you very much for your prompt respone.  Much appreciated.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hi

It was Interesting running across this Topic.

I have a Lenovo C440 that has those installed Freeride games installed too. I have been ambivalent as far as removing them. Can I be a little nosy and ask why You decided to remove them? I still have 718Gb free after setting 10% (93Gb) for over-provisioning  in the Samsung magician software for the SSD I changed over to form the 1Tb Hard drive. Big Improvement too.

I had not looked in program data for freeride games. That is what uses all the disk space. 3/4 GB hmmm....

I may just copy that folder to one of the backup drives and leave the small C:\Program Files (x86) folder. That way I may (should) be able to use the games at a later date.

I haven't tried it yet, however the Lenovo "Driver & Application Installation" program could allow them to be re-installed too.

Decisions, decisions.

Cheers

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 December 2013 - 10:46 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 nemoaquis

nemoaquis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hi Roger,

I decided to remove them as I do not see myself playing any of the games this service provides.  Although I am not running out of space on my hard drive it seemed unnecessary to have  an uninstalled program taking up so much space.  I had thought a program like Revo Uninstaller was designed to remove these traces of programs.  This has left me a bit confused, why is so much data left behind after uninstalling a program, especially when using Revo which I had expected to remove any leftover unwanted and unnecessary data?  If any one knows I would be interested.

Your idea to remove the folder to backup so you can restore it in the event you want to use FreeRide Games in the future does not sound like it would cause any problems but I am no expert.

cheers

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi, nice to hear from You

I hope I am not being captain obvious here? However why not submit a report on Your experiences to the revo people here at

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_support_help.php

It could be a difference between the free and the paid Pro version. They would know. it may also be something they would like to hear about, Who knows.

You could also ask the Freeride Games people too. Leaving 3/4 Gb of files behind is not a good thing. One other thing that could be don is get Lenovo involved, They can put pressure on FreeRide games.

I believe that Queen-Evie is right.

Or You could do what I do to be sure removal would cause no issues.

Rename the folders by adding something to their name, I use +++ at the end to make them stand out. If after a few times starting windows and doing things no problems have happened then delete them.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 FreeRideGames Guru

FreeRideGames Guru

Exent Technologies Rep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hey there nemoaquis,

My name is Kyle and I'm with the Free Ride Games Customer Service team and we're interested in the issue you experienced.  You're absolutely right that by uninstalling the software should remove the player and all software completely (sometimes the Free Ride Games Player folder can be left behind with a .dll file, or in your case the uninstall.exe, but can simply be deleted), however leaving behind 768MB is extremely unusual.  In fact, the Free Ride Games Player directory and software should only take up about 15MB of space. 

We're very interested in getting to the bottom of this and I'd like to invite you to contact me personally via our Live Chat service by visiting http://exent.com/support/index.html and clicking the "Chat Now" button on the page.  Our chat is available M-F between 9am - 5pm EST.

If you do not wish to contact us via chat, you can always send me a Personal Message through these forums.

I look forward to hearing from you :)

#8 nemoaquis

nemoaquis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi Roger,

I am trying to sort the problem through live chat with FreeRide Games at the moment.  It is interesting that we both have 3/4 gb space taken up by this but the above post from FreeRide says this is "extremely unusual".  Uploading contents of the file to dropbox now so they can examine it.  Will let you know the outcome.

Here is a screenshot of the folder contents https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvkp3tff2lnkflb/Screenshot%20FreeRide%20Folder%202013-12-18%2018.19.50.jpg

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

I wonder if it is due to the way Lenovo installed it. maybe in a normal install it downloads the games as they are requested whereas Lenovo put them all there. I'm speculating of course.

Yup, that's what mine looks like too.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 nemoaquis

nemoaquis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Uploaded the whole folder so FreeRide Games can have a look at it.  They said they will post their findings here.

#11 FreeRideGames Guru

FreeRideGames Guru

Exent Technologies Rep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hey there Rotor123 and nemoaquis,

We were able to look into the issue of the C:\Program Data\FreeRide Games\ directory and the concerns you both had (file size, being left behind after uninstall).  I'd like to address both of those concerns:

Folder size - The Free Ride Games installation that comes bundled on Lenovo PCs also comes with 5-6 games.  This explains why the size is around 786MB.  If you were do download our software from our site (http://freeridegames.com) it wouldn't come with any games and only be the size of the Game Player itself (~10MB).

Being left behind after uninstall - This is not intended; it should be removed during the uninstall process.  Our development team is looking into this and we should be able to address this in future builds of the software.

One other note; this directory is simply an InstallShield module and is used for the set-up/installation of the program,  Feel free to delete this folder at any time.

Thanks for taking the time to contact me directly, nemoaquis!

If you have any other questions be sure to let us know!  You can always contact our customer support team for Free Ride Games directly by visiting: http://www.freeridegames.com/product/about/aboutus.html?tab=5 and filling out the support form.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Thank You for the informative answer

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users