Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a computer for the first time, have a few pieces, need suggestions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IhateAV2009

IhateAV2009

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

Like I mentioned, I am building a computer for the first time. The way I have been doing it roughly equates to "as I get money, I buy parts for it". I have learned this is a very BAD idea for getting ideal budgetary estimations, so I might as well just borrow some money from parents and get it all done with. I would like to build the computer around the 2 parts I already have, because they are decent enough. I am looking to keep this build to around under $700 if that helps at all. I can go a bit over. I plan on using it for a bit of video editing and maybe some medium load gaming (like F1 2013 or Civilization, not like Crysis 3) So far, I have an Antec One case and an AMD FX 8320 CPU. I know I still need Motherboard, GPU, Power Supply, RAM, some form of data storage (probably mechanical HDD, no money for SSD), optical drive (Bandwidth limits necessitate), and a Wifi adapter. Any ideas?

do you see the irony?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

Maybe something like this? It comes to $556 excluding the parts already bought with some further savings from rebates.  Gives a bit of room to make any changes or buy extra accessories as needed.  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mcOJ

Some reasons for the choices:

Corsair H60 - it's a 125w CPU and this will be much quieter and more efficient than the stock cooler.  If it's too much, then a good aftermarket air cooler will do the job.

Seagate 2Tb drive - have one myself - it's fast enough, and video editing can certainly use up a lot of disk space.

Radeon HD 7870 2Gb - Good card for the money.  If you prefer Nvidia the GTX660 is around the same price range.

EVGA 500w 80+ PSU - Enough watts and 40A on 12v rail is sufficient, and it's cheap.  3 Yr warranty and reasonable review.

Edited by jonuk76, 18 December 2013 - 07:05 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

A few things to add...

Do not do liquid cooling unless you are doing some extreme overclocking.  It really isn't needed otherwise.  Use a high performance air cooler instead like the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283.  For the optical drive, I'd go with the ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS.  For the wifi, the Rosewill RNX-G300LX is low priced and should do the job.  Keep in mind that the PSU is enough for a single Radeon 7870, if you go higher in performance or choose to get a second card, it will be inadequate.  If you think you will want to use some of the higher performing enthusiast cards later on, I would suggest getting the CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users